ACT News


ACT police investigate suspicious death at Wanniassa

ACT police are investigating the suspicious death of a 61-year-old man whose body was found in a Wanniassa house on Tuesday night.

Police were called to the McWhae Circuit home for a welfare check around 7pm and found the body of the man after forcing entry to the house.

A 68-year-old invalid woman was found in a bedroom of the home, uninjured. 

She was taken to hospital by the ACT Ambulance Service for observation.

No arrests had been made late on Tuesday night but the head of ACT Policing's  criminal investigations, Detective Superintendent Paul Shakeshaft, said there was a person of interest police wished to speak to. The person was not the 68-year-old woman found in the house.

Authorities cordoned off the home and forensic officers were scouring the premises overnight.


A report is being prepared for the coroner.

There has been a spate of recent deaths in the ACT, including that of 28-year-old mother-of-three Tara Costigan, who was attacked with an axe and died at a home in Calwell last month.

Detective Superintendent Shakeshaft stressed that Tuesday night's death was an "isolated incident" restricted to the McWhae Circuit house.

"The information we have at the moment indicates the incident occured here, restricted to just this premises and this individual," he said.

"It's not something the public have to be concerned about. We're talking to all the neighbours in the area."

One McWhae Circuit resident said she was shocked to hear of the death on what is normally a quiet street.

The woman said she reguarly walked around the area with one of her neighbours but did not feel safe walking through the circuit in the evenings, instead sticking to streets with better lighting like Sternberg Crescent. 

Tuesday night proved a busy one for police, with a bomb scare earlier in the evening forcing the closure of Wentworth Avenue in Kingston.

Two suspicious bags were found near the Lockheed Martin building. As police investigated the eastbound lane of Wentworth Avenue was closed to traffic between Eyre Street and Dawes Street. 

A police bomb squad investigated and it was discovered the backpacks contained several bottles of iced coffee.