JavaScript disabled. Please enable JavaScript to use My News, My Clippings, My Comments and user settings.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

If you have trouble accessing our login form below, you can go to our login page.

Almost 90 notices issued in workplace safety blitz

Some of the dodgy scaffolding found by WorkSafe inspectors who combed through residential developments in Wright last month. They issued 50 notices following the blitz.

Some of the dodgy scaffolding found by WorkSafe inspectors who combed through residential developments in Wright last month. They issued 50 notices following the blitz.

 

ACT Work Safety inspectors descended on the new Gungahlin suburb on Wednesday morning to target safety breaches in the residential building sector. They were still there by the afternoon and have yet to finalise their tally of notices.

ACT Work Safety Commissioner Mark McCabe said: ‘‘The interim figures alone indicate this has been a very successful intervention today. Our primary goal is to send the message to those builders who are not abiding by the rules that we intend to enforce the law in all parts of the construction industry – not just the higher profile bigger commercial sites.’’

Another view of the scaffolding.

Another view of the scaffolding.

Seven inspectors visited at least 33 sites and spoken to 41 individuals with investigations ongoing.

Seventy improvement notices were issued as well as 18 infringement notices, which incur on-the-spot fines. The fines related largely to a lack of signs, and white card or safety induction procedures not being followed, but also more seriously relate to the checking and tagging of electrical equipment.

Mr McCabe said signage was important because if anyone could not identify a builder on a site, there was no way to report a safety issue. It also created an enormous amount of work for WorkSafe ACT if issues were identified on a site without clear ownership.

Mr McCabe said he was also very concerned about electrical safety procedures, given the electrocution of a fourth-year apprentice at a Kingston Foreshore building site last Thursday.

On Tuesday, inspectors at the Aurora Apartments complex in Kingston issued principal contractor Project Coordination with a prohibition notice in the wake of the electrocution.

The Harrison blitz is the second residential housing blitz in as many months following one in the Molonglo suburb of Wright in December.

Inspectors then checked nearly 40 residential sites and issued one prohibition notice to stop work on a site with unsafe scaffolding. A further 50 improvement notices were issued for less serious safety breaches.

Mr McCabe said he was disturbed to find even more safety breaches in Harrison than in Wright.

‘‘In some ways this vindicates this approach because we continue to catch plenty of wrongdoers,’’ he said.

‘‘The industry has to realise we will not relent and these are not flash-in-the pan visits. We will keep going back again and again until they get the message.’’

He also noted it was unfair for builders doing the right thing to be undercut by those who failed to comply with safety requirements.

Mr McCabe estimated up to $50,000 in fines from the blitz would be passed on to building contractors, or builders themselves in the case of white card infringements.

There were further fines that could be imposed if contractors failed to comply with their improvement notices. He warned that it was likely WorkSafe ACT would be given expanded capacity to issue fines once the ACT government responded formally to the recommendations of the ‘‘Getting Home Safely’’ report into four industrial deaths and a record number of serious workplace injuries in the ACT over the past year.

The response is due in late February.Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union ACT secretary Dean Hall said there was a lot of ‘‘cross-over between commercial construction and residential building workers and if we are ever going to get improvements in building and construction, there needs to be improvements in housing’’. 

‘‘Those bad habits they bring in are causing major problems and while there are a lot of good builders who do put safety first, they are at a huge commercial disadvantage and are being undercut by rogue builders.’’

The Housing Industry Association welcomed the blitz.Executive director for the ACT and southern NSW Neil Evans said that while issues around signage and white cards were breaches that were ‘‘not going to directly lead to injury or death’’ the testing and tagging of electrical leads was a concern.

‘‘We have been working closely with Mark on this issue and we will continue to do so with repeated reminders and updates,’’ Mr Evans said.

‘‘We are sure that Work Safe inspectors will continue to do these random audits and we need to get everyone on the same page and there are a lot of people out there who are not doing the correct thing."

 

6 comments so far

  • These safety breaches and the incidents involving apprentices seem to coincide with the downturn of job adds for qualified tradesmen in the ACT over the last 3 years. The ACT Government needs to ensure all qualified building workers are able to obtain long term permanent employment rather than the sham contracting arrangements many are being forced to work under. Many of the companiies cut costs by doing this and therefore are the successful tenderers on many projects.

    Our apprentices deserve better than to be left alone on worksites. Just do a survey of them and you will get suprising results as to how many are in this situation. And what about the many illegal workers, particularly those on sites at Kingston Foreshores. It is no wonder these buildings are falling apart.

    Our apprentices deserve better,

    Commenter
    Patrick
    Date and time
    January 30, 2013, 4:54PM
    • This is what is needed. builders being both shamed and hit in the hip pocket. there is no use a union "closing" a site. that does nothing to a builder. having to part with money is the only way to get the message across!

      BTW, this isnt my real name. The industry is far to small in canberra to make oppinions like this know

      Commenter
      Joe
      Date and time
      January 30, 2013, 5:51PM
      • Article correction - Electrocution means death. Electric shock is what you meant.

        Test and tag is also a different activity to the shock the apprentice received. She was shocked by incorrect tagging and isolation. Test and tag refers to the three monthly inspection of onsite electric tools.

        Any inspections to bring their work up to standard is plus in my book. safer worksite for all and safer houses for the owners

        Commenter
        Elec_eng
        Date and time
        January 30, 2013, 9:43PM
        • Good to see those inspectors finally out from behind their desks. Must have been a cool day.

          Importantly, why is there a "blitz" when these guys should have been doing this anyway? What are they doing if not "blitz-ing"? Drinking coffee in the office corridor?

          Is this really a report that should have been headlined "public servants actually turned up to work and did their job" ??

          Commenter
          evanism
          Date and time
          January 30, 2013, 11:49PM
          • The blitz is just a name given to increase the profile of the inspections, and to highlight that this is a focussed action in one particular area. If it's anything like where I'm from, the inspectors are out all day everyday doing inspections, but when they are all coordinated to hit one housing development or suburb through the same week it's a 'blitz'.

            Commenter
            Garry
            Date and time
            January 31, 2013, 9:12AM
        • Blitzing building sites over safety regulations sends a strong message to safety experts that ACT Work Safe are lacking in expertise and trained inspectors. Yes, a blitz will catch a few builders who breach safety regulations -but there is more to safety than obeying regulations and catching a few builders during a one-of blitz will not change the unique safety culture of the ACT construction industry. maybe if the Canberra Times looked into the lack of skills training and the very low apprenticeship intake in the ACT construction industry they would have a broader picture about quality and safety and a better understanding of why the ACT construction industry is the most dangerous in Australia. Blitzing building sites will not increase skills training or help to encourage builders to do the right thing.

          Commenter
          DaveC
          Location
          Gilmore
          Date and time
          January 31, 2013, 9:24AM

          Make a comment

          You are logged in as [Logout]

          All information entered below may be published.

          Error: Please enter your screen name.

          Error: Your Screen Name must be less than 255 characters.

          Error: Your Location must be less than 255 characters.

          Error: Please enter your comment.

          Error: Your Message must be less than 300 words.

          Post to

          You need to have read and accepted the Conditions of Use.

          Thank you

          Your comment has been submitted for approval.

          Comments are moderated and are generally published if they are on-topic and not abusive.

          Featured advertisers

          Special offers

          Credit card, savings and loan rates by Mozo