A Canberra man accused of calling his former partner a "dirty f---ing slut" as he struck her with a medical crutch during a prolonged attack has been kept behind bars after he allegedly breached his bail conditions.
The man, 32, appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday charged with three counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, assault and possessing a knife without reasonable excuse.
The court heard he last month pleaded guilty to two property damage charges related to an incident involving the same woman and was subject to a bail condition that he not threaten, harass or intimidate her.
He was also not allowed to consume illicit drugs or alcohol.
Court documents say police arrested the man after they were called to a disturbance at a Phillip home and discovered the woman standing outside and the agitated defendant smelling of alcohol on Saturday.
The woman told police the man had assaulted her earlier that day and officers said they observed redness, abrasions and swelling to parts of her body.
She said the man had called her mobile phone several times and verbally abused her before he confronted her at the house when she arrived home.
The man had grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her to the ground, before he pulled her up by her overalls and forcefully pushed her to the ground again, causing her to head to hit the floor, court documents say.
He then allegedly pushed the woman's legs up over her shoulders and motioned as if he was going to punch the woman in her genital area.
After the woman told the man her sister was arriving at the house soon, he grabbed a medical crutch and began to strike her across the legs with it as he yelled abuse and called her a "dirty f---ing slut", court documents allege.
The woman allegedly suffered a lump on the back of her head, welts on her leg, swelling and bruises on her face and injuries to her neck and arm.
Court documents say the woman feared the defendant and didn't want to continue their relationship and she suffered significant psychological trauma as a result of the incident.
The man's defence lawyer said he denied assaulting the woman and the matter was a "he said-she said case".
The court was told the man had taken steps towards rehabilitation for his alcohol use.
Prosecutors opposed the man's release from custody and said the court could have no confidence the defendant wouldn't reoffend or that he would comply with any bail conditions imposed.
Magistrate Robert Cook said the alleged assault showed "a violent episode of concern" while the man was subject to conditions designed to protect the woman.
Mr Cook said the man presented an unacceptable risk to the victim and refused bail. He will be back in court next month.