Public service bosses need "political nous" to get to the top as the bureaucracy faces continued upheaval, according to the Commonwealth's workplace authority.
- Senior academics have raised concerns cheating at major Australian universities may be easier than many supervisors realise.
- The ACT government will push ahead with long-awaited plans for a new, privately owned city office block on the London Circuit car park next to the Legislative Assembly.
- The great-granddaughter of Tom Roberts has donated a painting to the National Gallery of Australia.
- A defiant Tony Abbott has resisted calls for him to quit politics and will recontest his seat of Warringah at the next federal election.
- Canberra streets would be designated for trials of self-driving cars as part of a new plan being proposed by the opposition.
- Ricky Stuart House will be a special place in Canberra because parents will not need to feel guilty when they drop off their child with a disability.
- Australia Day enthusiast David Goodall plans to spend his favourite day of the year cooking up some lamb, cranking up Slim Dusty and sipping a Toohey's Old among the 90 Australian flags that mask his front lawn.
- Atem Atem stood his ground as a man yelled "darkie immigrant" and told him to go back where he came from during a five-minute racist tirade beside Lake Burley Griffin.
9.45am: A vehicle fire on Belconnen Way was extinguished by a passerby, an ESA spokesman said. firefighters have been dispatched to ensure it's out so there may be some traffic impacts near the cross street with Gungahlin Way/Caswell Drive.
9.38am: Halley Street in Chisholm is still blocked after an earlier two-car collision.
9.35am: A vehicle is on fire on Belconnen Way, near the intersection of Caswell Drive/Gungahlin Drive at Aranda. Watch out if you're headed that way.
9.19am: There's also been a crash at Chisholm. Emergency crews are on scene at Halley Street, off Isabella Drive.
9.12am: An ACT Emergency Services spokesman says paramedics were on their way to a crash off the Majura Parkway. It is understood a car hit a kangaroo but it doesn't appear to be causing any traffic issues at this stage.
8.53am: Looks like there's been a prang on the Majura Parkway near the Majura Pine plantation. Emergency services are on the scene.
Traffic on Constitution Avenue will be moved onto the southern carriageway due to roadworks from Saturday until likely mid-2016.
On Saturday February 6, traffic from east of Allara Street to London Circuit will also be switched.
Ben and Jerry's Openair Cinema is making its way to Canberra's central lakeside venue on Patrick White Lawns. Until 21 Feb.
The National Portrait Gallery has something for everyone to enjoy these summer school holidays with free activities inspired by Sideshow Alley for families to enjoy together. Until 24 Jan.
The Ainslie Arts Centre is hosting a week-long music workshop for girls aged between 10 and 17 years. More info here.
School holidays at the AIS means you can choose from the Pre-School Holiday Program, Soccer and Tennis Camps and a general Sports Vacation Program. Until 29 Jan.
See the year's best cartoons in Behind the Lines 2015 at the Museum of Australian Democracy.
Today: Cloudy. Drizzle at first. Highchance of showers, most likely in the afternoon and early evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Light winds. Min 16, max 25.
Tomorrow: Cloudy. Medium chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning and afternoon. Light winds becoming easterly 15 to 20 km/h in the early afternoon then becoming light in the evening. Min 15, max 26.