Could Woden become the new Braddon?
The ACT government plans to transform the Woden town centre into an economic hub resembling the hip inner north suburb with the expansion of the shopping plaza and a possible extension of light rail.
Minister for Planning Mick Gentleman has launched a draft plan for redevelopment.
- Nervous Liberal MPs have begun discussing alternative leadership options including the pros and cons of switching to either Foreign Minister Julie Bishop or former leader Malcolm Turnbull.
- Thousands of public servants at the Immigration Department and Customs service will have to get physical if they want a job at the new "Australian Border Force".
- The ACT's prison is trailing behind other jurisdictions in giving inmates work and time out of their cells, according to a new report.
- Australian author Colleen McCullough, made famous by romantic saga The Thorn Birds, has died.
Andy Murray of Britain defeated Czech Tomas Berdych in the Australian Open semi-final to set up a final encounter against either Novak Djokovic or defending champion Stan Wawrinka.
The Socceroos will battle it out with South Korea in the Asian Cup Final tomorrow night.
But Football Federation Australia is about to face an even bigger battle.
A number of Gulf nations are moving to have Australia expelled from the Asian Football Confederation.
- Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland has rejected criticism of the decision to play the Big Bash final in Canberra after the most thrilling decider in the competition's four-year history.
- Canberra bashers were out in full force on social media during the Perth Scorchers' victory against the Sydney Sixers at Manuka Oval on Wednesday night.
- It was a tense semi-final showdown between Andy Murray and Tomas Berdych at the Australian Open on Thursday night, with Murray beating the fast-starting Berdych.
Fallon Street in Belconnen is closed to eastbound traffic between Josephson Street and Weedon Close. The works are associated with the storm water capital upgrades project.
There are roadworks westbound on Constitution Avenue between Coranderrk Street and Allara Street in Reid.
The University of Canberra Capitals take on the Adelaide Lightning at the AIS Arena from 7pm tonight.
Over a bumper weekend of sport, the Socceroos will go head to head with South Korea in Saturday night's Asian Cup final at ANZ Stadium from 8pm.
Over at Rod Laver Arena, Serbia's Novak Djokovic will take on Switzerland's Stan Wawrinka tonight to determine who will face up to Murrayin Sunday's Australian Open men's final.
The United States' Serena Williams versus Russia's Maria Sharapova in Saturday's women's final.
The show hasn't even started yet and the Canberra My Kitchen Rules contestants have already been labelled by some as the villains, but Anna and Gina Petridis are undeterred.
"We're really nice. I promise," said Gina.
While the show is only just about to hit our screens, Anna and Gina have already returned from filming.
But they don't plan to invite the judges over for dinner any time soon.
Hey #Canberra, you're not so bad. The putting the car heater on in January notwithstanding pic.twitter.com/WP85GU4ngZ — Trish Hepworth (@TrishHepworth) January 29, 2015
Today: A sunny start to Friday before possible showers in the afternoon and a forecast top of 21 degrees.
The rest of the week: Saturday, partly cloudy - min 8, max 25; Sunday, partly cloudy - min 10, max 26; Monday, possible shower, min 10, max 25.