ACT News

License article

Commercial drug lab accused had cooking instructions: prosecutors

A man accused of running a secret commercial-grade drug lab out of a Hume warehouse allegedly had a document instructing him how to manufacture illicit substances, a court has heard.

Suspicions were first raised about the alleged drug lab early last year, after authorities received reports of hazardous materials and fumes associated with the building, just off Sheppard Street.

Police begun an investigation that would last six months and culminate in the seizure of 2.5 tonnes of precursor chemicals and equipment, which they allege were to be used to make ecstasy and MDMA. 

Police chief Rudi Lammers said the haul could have produced drugs with an estimated street value of "many, many millions of dollars".

At the time, police said the operation was linked with Taskforce Nemesis, which targets outlaw motorcycle gangs.

Stanley Hou, 35, was arrested in connection with the drug lab, and originally faced a single charge in the ACT Magistrates Court.


Prosecutors laid another nine charges against Hou on Thursday, when he appeared before Magistrate Robert Cook. 

One of those charges related to his alleged possession of a document that provided instructions on the manufacture of controlled drugs. 

He was also charged with possessing a number of precursor chemicals with the intent to make and sell drugs, possessing drug making equipment, and possessing $3490, said to either have been stolen or unlawfully obtained.

Hou, represented by lawyer James Maher, did not enter pleas to the new charges. He previously entered a not guilty plea to the original charge.

Mr Maher signalled he would seek to loosen Hou's bail conditions early next month, something the prosecution said it would oppose.

He also said the matter would likely be ready for committal to the ACT's higher court at that time.

The prosecution is yet to complete the full brief of evidence in the case, saying it would take another six to eight weeks, and that expert reports were still outstanding.

The matter will return to court on February 5.