A man accused of bashing his ex-partner on a Civic street in broad daylight was due in court only minutes later, a court has heard.
Nuno Cruz appeared before the ACT Magistrates Court on Thursday charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
The court heard Cruz had been due in the Federal Magistrates Court at 10am. But the accused man never made it after he encountered the alleged victim in Acton about 9.50am.
The Charnwood man is alleged to have approached and verbally abused the woman before punching her in the face several times, knocking her to the ground. The court heard the complainant called to passers-by for help when Cruz kicked her in the back a number of times and walked away.
Police informant Constable Nathan Watts told the court witnesses said the attack was unprovoked. Cruz handed himself in at Belconnen police station later that day. Constable Watts said police feared Cruz would be a flight risk if granted bail as he had family in Sydney and Portugal.
The prosecution said the alleged victim would be forced into hiding if Cruz was set free. But the defence said the accused man would surrender his passport and abide by bail conditions to not leave the ACT if granted release.
The defence argued there was no evidence before the court the defendant would not comply with bail conditions. Chief Magistrate Lorraine Walker denied Cruz bail due to the nature of the alleged offence. He was marked as a prisoner at risk. He will appear again later this month.