Emin Yavuz is accused of collecting drugs sent to post office boxes around Canberra. Photo: Glen Hunt
A Canberra man accused of using a series of local post office boxes to import cocaine into Australia will spend Christmas behind bars.
Emin Yavuz, 24, of Franklin, was arrested last week over allegations he imported drugs into the country through the post.
Customs had allegedly found a package of 50 grams of amphetamine, seizing it before it reached a Canberra post office box.
They replaced the drug with an inert substance and sent it on its way, allowing Yavuz to pick it up.
Police said they raided his home, finding a notebook in his bedroom that included a list of 11 tracking numbers, fake licences, and keys to post office boxes around Canberra.
Yavuz appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court last week, facing charges of importing and attempting to possess a marketable quantity of amphetamine, and was released on bail.
But police have since seized further packages of drugs destined for post office boxes around Canberra, the court heard on Tuesday.
Some of those were headed to addresses that police had not suspected to be linked with Yavuz, the court heard.
Police say there are a series of six additional consignment numbers for deliveries coming from the Netherlands and China, and authorities are still attempting to track them down.
Yavuz was charged with two more offences, and police told the court they were expecting to lay further charges.
The Commonwealth prosecution argued that Yavuz’s bail should be revoked, fearing he may try to interfere with the investigation, or may be a flight risk.
Prosecutor Katrina Musgrove said that, last week, the prospect of charging Yavuz with additional offences had been “purely hypothetical”.
But the new allegations had not been crystallised with the seizure of five packages being imported into the country.
She expressed concern that two packages of 100g of cocaine, at 75 per cent purity, had been sent to addresses previously unknown to be linked with Yavuz.
Ms Musgrove said the alleged drug importer knew where the other outstanding packages were to be delivered, and that there was a “very real likelihood” he would interfere with the packages.
But Yavuz’s barrister, Shane Gill, said little had changed since Yavuz was granted bail by the court last week.
He said the prospect of the new charges was known last week when the court gave him bail.
Mr Gill said Yavuz had informed the court that his mother, with whom he was living, was moving address, which he said demonstrated he was not a flight risk.
Yavuz had also turned up to court on Tuesday, and Mr Gill said a surety could be provided.
He said there was no evidence Yavuz was trying to receive or take delivery of the outstanding packages, and said the prosecution’s fears that he would interfere with evidence were not made out.
But Chief Magistrates Lorraine Walker refused Yavuz bail, saying the seriousness of the offending had increased with the new charges.
Ms Walker noted that six packages were still outstanding, and authorities had been unable to track them.
She said the situation had changed, and there was a heightened risk that Yavuz would fail to attend court and this could not be addressed by bail conditions.
Similarly, she said the risk that he would interfere with the investigation could not be addressed through conditions.
The matter will come back before the ACT Magistrates Court in mid-January.