Eight more people have been arrested as part of an investigation into the supply of illicit drugs throughout the Canberra and Queanbeyan area.

The arrests, made on Wednesday and Thursday, bring the total number of people arrested as part of Strike Force Delicate operations this week to 32.

ACT and NSW police seized an estimated $420,000 worth of drugs including heroin, ecstasy and cannabis in a series of raids on Tuesday morning, as well as firearms, ammunition and other weapons. Officers searched 17 properties - including five in the ACT, 10 in Queanbeyan, one in Goulburn and one in Cooma - at about 8.30am on Tuesday, resulting in 23 arrests.

NSW Police said the eight people arrested on Wednesday and Thursday had been charged with drug supply offences.

Acting Monaro Local Area Commander Detective Acting Superintendent Shane Box said on Tuesday that the operations had involved a “significant number of covert strategies”.

“In excess of 50 people have been identified and are classed as targets,” he said.

“This has resulted in excess of 200 drug supply charges and the seizure of drugs at this stage in excess of $420,000. The operation has extended as far as Sydney, into Cooma, Goulburn but more importantly into Canberra.”

Detective Acting Superintendent Box said the operations were ongoing with further arrests expected.

“There are a significant number of targets that we will be following up over the next couple of weeks,” he said.