ACT News

License article

Fire razes Charnwood home

A fire caused by a faulty stove has caused $10,000 worth of damage to a home in Charnwood today.

Firefighters were called to the home on McQuade Close at 3.17pm.

The fire had spread to the roof space of the house, but no damage was caused to neighbouring properties.

The residents had evacuated the house safely, and were not injured.

Firefighters soon extinguished the blaze, and were attempting to salvage parts of the the home about 4pm.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a faulty flu in a solid fuel stove.

‘‘ACT Fire & Rescue urge the community to ensure they conduct regular maintenance of heating appliances and that they are checked thoroughly before using them after a long period of inactivity,’’ an ACT Fire and Rescue spokesman said.