Bungendore RFS volunteers Heather Hubbard and Sharon Kelly organise food to feed firefighters.

Bungendore RFS volunteers Heather Hubbard and Sharon Kelly organise food to feed firefighters. Photo: Rohan Thomson

Strong winds and rising temperatures are the main concerns for crews fighting the Cobbler Road blaze near Yass, as bushfires continue to burn around the region.

As of Friday morning, the fire had a perimeter of 98km and had burnt out around 14,200 hectares.

Total fire bans in place throughout NSW and the ACT, with severe fire warnings as temperatures climb towards the predicted 37 degrees. Winds of up to 35 km/hr are expected, prompting concerns from Rural Fire Service members on the ground that they could be dealing with catastrophic conditions over the coming days.

RFS liaison Peter Dyce said deteriorating weather was the biggest cause for concern for crews at Yass.

“The strong winds tend to stir the fire up,” he said.

“It gets the embers airborne and they can be deposited out into unburnt country.”

There are 50 tankers on the ground at the moment, with 100 to 150 crew members battling the blaze burning to the east of Burrinjuck and Black Range Roads.

Mr Dyce said the blaze is being classified as being controlled.

“The fire is still burning, but we’re working on the edges,” he said.

The fire has destroyed a number of small sheds and caused significant stock losses, but no homes have been lost as yet.

At Yarrabin near Cooma, more than 250 firefighters were still working to contain a fire in the Kybeyan Valley area on Friday morning.

The fire front, which has to date burnt through 9400 hectares of bush and grassland, was about 20km east of Cooma.

The RFS have warned properties in the Kybeyan Valley area may still be affected, and local roads may be closed at short noticed throughout the day.

Meantime near Bungendore, crews have contained a fire at Timber Top Road and about 30 fire fighters are conducting mopping up operations in the area.

On Friday morning an RFS spokeswoman said there was still the potential for flare-ups at Bungendore and fire fighters were working to strengthen containment lines and prepare for the coming warmer conditions.

Related coverage:

After days fighting a 1376-hectare bushfire north of the Kings Highway, the Bungendore crew on Thursday took a well-earned breather in cooler conditions, in preparation for more severe heat and wind forecast for the weekend. ''We've basically been going non-stop since last Friday, so we're having the day off today,'' station officer Stewart Wilson said.

''We've got crews in out of area and crews in from the ACT [covering for us] and we're really grateful.''

But the brigade's 30 volunteers were still reluctant to return to their homes on Thursday and instead relaxed at the station while a ''seamless operation'' put together meals for crews at the fire ground.

''Today we got 15 meals out to aviation and 60 to Timber Top,'' catering officer Heather Hubbard said. ''We provided 120 dinners on Wednesday night and the night before that there were 60 tankers out there - that's about 300 people. On Tuesday night there were only three of us here and at midnight three teenagers came from Captains Flat with trays of sandwiches for us.

''I couldn't believe they had come so far to help.''

Firefighters were using Thursday's down time to prepare for worsening conditions on Friday and Saturday.

Temperatures are set to soar back into the mid to high-30s over the next two days.

In Canberra, Bungendore and Yass the mercury will hit 36 degrees on Friday and 37 on Saturday, while Cooma will reach 33 degrees on Friday and 35 on Saturday.

Fire bans and severe fire danger ratings will apply in the ACT and parts of NSW and local restrictions should be checked.

And the hot conditions are set to linger, with above-30-degree temperatures forecast for Canberra until at least Thursday next week.

But there is some good news for the region's weary firefighters.

The strong winds that have fanned bushfires in the ACT's surrounds will not reach the peaks seen on Tuesday.

The Bureau of Meteorology is forecasting west to north-westerly winds of 25 to 40km/h, gusting up to 60km/h on Saturday.

That is far weaker than Tuesday, when gusts of 90 to 100km/h were recorded in Canberra.

The bureau is also predicting Tropical Cyclone Narelle off the northern coast of Western Australia may help ease conditions. It may push some cloud cover and possibly showers over the ACT and southern NSW on Sunday and Monday.

The fire at Bungendore may be contained, but senior deputy captain Terry O'Leary said that did not mean the danger had passed.

''Saturday is the day we're worried about,'' he said. ''It's going to be windy and hot. We don't know yet if it will be catastrophic, but severe or extreme is likely.

''That will change as we get closer to the actual day. As far as our planning is concerned, we just prepare for the worst.''

Rural Fire Service Southern Tablelands community safety and education officer Peter Dyce said there were very real fears that the worsening conditions on Friday and Saturday could prove dangerous.

Forty-five local government areas are now eligible for natural disaster assistance, up from 37.

The temporary reprieve on Wednesday and Thursday has given brief respite for ACT firefighting crews and the leadership team working from the Emergency Services Agency headquarters at Fairbairn.

But RFS deputy chief officer Michael Joyce said his troops were ready to return to the fore as conditions worsened on Friday and Saturday.

All volunteer firefighting units are on standby and ACT Fire and Rescue has put on extra crews to tackle any fires.

''We have been a bit lucky in that the last two days have been a lot milder, and all the crews have had a good chance to have a rest and relax and get ready for the next wave of heat,'' Mr Joyce said.

The fires burning to the west, east, north and south of the ACT did not pose any threat at this stage.

The bushfire burning near Yass was the only real risk of turning on Canberra, but would take six hours to reach the city in the worst possible conditions, Mr Joyce said.