ACT News

Firefighters called to Gowrie after pot on stove catches alight

A woman in her 60s has been assessed for minor smoke inhalation after a kitchen fire in Canberra's south.

Emergency services were called to the house on the corner of Corey Place and Herington Street in Gowrie shortly after 9am on Monday after a pot on the stove caught alight.

Crews quickly extinguished the fire and began ventilating it a short time later.

The woman was assessed by paramedics at the scene and referred to her GP for treatment.

Cooking has overtaken electronics as the leading cause of house fires in the ACT.

More than a quarter of house fires in the past financial year started in the kitchen.

To prevent a kitchen fire, firefighters recommend:

  • Never leave cooking unattended
  • Ensure pot handles are facing inwards
  • Ensure stoves, ovens and fans are grease and fat free
  • Place a lid on a pot if it catches fire - do not pick it up or carry
  • Do not wear clothing with loose-fitting sleeves
  • Ensure you have a working fire alarm, as well as a fire extinguisher and blanket handy
Advertisement