ACT News

Fireworks in roof may have started house fire in Mawson

Fireworks stored in the roof of a house are believed to have contributed to a fire that more than $30,000 damage on Sunday.

Firefighters responded to reports of a small fire in a house fire in Hurley Street, Mawson about 3pm, as Canberra's temperature reached 39 degrees in sunny conditions. 

An Emergency Services Agency spokeswoman said the fire was brought under control about 3.20pm but continued to smoulder. Crews left the scene after 5pm.

ACT Fire & Rescue has advised the fire was not suspicious. It is believed to have been caused by faulty wiring with the stored fireworks caused additional issues.

A resident of the home called for help, but ACT Ambulance Service said there were no injuries.

"It is believed the heat ignited the fireworks which had been stored in the ceiling," the spokeswoman said. 

ACT Fire & Rescue attended with three pumpers, a breathing apparatus van and a commander on scene.

Advertisement