ACT News

Food poisoning linked to Enlighten Night Noodle Markets stall

Another two people reported cases of food poisoning on Saturday possibly linked to the Enlighten Night Noodle Markets, ACT Health said.

A Health spokesman said the people, one who attended the markets on Thursday night and one on Friday, had shown the same symptoms of diarrhoea as the several cases who raised food poisoning on Friday.

The spokeswoman said the usual testing would be done with the two people, with test results from all reported cases expected back by mid-week.  

Environmental Health Officers were inspecting the markets on Saturday night.

The market-goers who raised their cases on Friday became ill with diarrhoea about 10 to 13 hours after eating food from a stall at the festival, but ACT Health Protection Service was confident there was no ongoing risk to public health from food sold at the stall as the outbreak has been controlled.

Environmental Health Officers inspected the premises that supplied food for the stall on Friday and found potentially hazardous food out of temperature control which was disposed of.


The stall will not be able to sell the implicated food for the remainder of the markets.

Fairfax Events' head of food James Laing said organisers had notified ACT Health after they were contacted by three people who said they'd become ill after eating at one of the stalls.

"[Inspectors] went to the restaurant of the stallholder, had a look and checked the refrigeration on site and there were no concerns, but to be ultra cautious they took the product and destroyed it and did some tests," he said.

"We take the issue of food safety incredibly seriously and work closely with the relevant health authorities to ensure that patrons can come to the markets confident that the highest standards are being adhered to."

Mr Laing said it would remain unclear if the food poisoning was caused by the stall until the test results come back next Tuesday.

The Health Officers conducted routine inspections of the markets last Friday, Saturday and Wednesday nights and will continue inspections as the festival winds to a close.

"The ACT Health guys are totally happy with everything and our response," Mr Laing said.

"The menu item in question we removed tonight, the stall is still trading, but they've got a clean bill of health."

All stalls at the markets were inspected on Friday.

Anyone who suspects they have food poisoning should stay at home, and not attend childcare, school and work for 48 hours after diarrhoea or vomiting ceases.

Food poisoning was usually short-lived, ACT Health says, but can last for a number of days with symptoms including headache and fever, stomach cramps, diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting.

The main treatment is frequent and small amounts of water to prevent dehydration.

Anyone with prolonged symptoms for more than a few days or with symptoms of dehydration should seek medical advice.

Information about food-borne disease is available at:

If you are concerned that you may have gastroenteritis related to this incident, contact your doctor or call the Health Protection Service on 6205 1700.