ACT News

License article

Former AFP agent pleads guilty to using restricted police system to stalk ex-girlfriend

A former Soviet soldier has pleaded guilty to using restricted federal police databases to stalk an ex-girlfriend who left him over his marriage to a Russian woman.

Roman Eiginson, 53, joined the AFP in 2001, a decade after coming to Australia from the Soviet Union.

Eiginson worked with the AFP's counter-terrorism area and, most recently, the treasury section, where his role was to revalue the agency's firearms.

He managed to hide his chequered past from the federal crime fighting agency.

It was revealed in a previous court hearing that the AFP had no idea Eiginson had two foreign passports, a Russian bride with a seemingly forged ID, a troubled past with NSW police, and Bulgarian property interests.

But Eiginson came to the attention of ACT police last year, when his ex-girlfriend accused him of stalking her.


The girlfriend had left him when she discovered a Russian woman he had married during their relationship was now living in the ACT. 

Police later discovered Eiginson unlawfully accessed protected AFP information, held on the PROMIS database, to research her and her new partner and track them down.

In April last year, Eiginson drove his car slowly up and down the street of the new boyfriend's house.

The man realised it was Eiginson and called the police, who arrived to find him standing behind a tree.

Court documents suggest they asked:

"What are you doing here, do you live here?"

Eiginson responded:

"No I live in Chisholm; I am just getting some sun."

They later told him to leave, but saw his car still in the area five minutes later. 

Eiginson was later arrested and was due to face a hearing on six charges in the ACT Magistrates Court on Wednesday. 

Instead, he pleaded guilty to two charges, and the prosecution offered no evidence on the others.

Prosecutor Anthony Williamson requested a pre-sentence report, and that a date for sentencing be provided. 

Magistrate Peter Morrison removed Eiginson's strict bail conditions and replaced them with requirements to attend the next court date, and comply with the obligations of a domestic violence order. 

The case will return to court in August