ACT News


Former Australian Defence Force soldier refused bail after extradition to the ACT

A former soldier extradited to the ACT on charges of harassing and threatening a female psychologist who found him unfit for service has been refused bail.

Kingsley John Kraschnefski, 46, appeared before the ACT Magistrates Court on Friday facing 29 charges relating to harassing and threatening phone calls and text messages.

Kraschnefski represented himself in the bail application, telling the court he was a trained sniper but "while I have the capability, I don't have the intent" to harm the woman.

He said he lived on a station 40 kilometres outside of Coonamble, NSW, but a police informant gave evidence that Kraschnefski was no longer welcome at that address.

The court heard he was receiving treatment for post-traumatic stress.

He did not enter pleas but indicated he would fight the charges, telling the court he wanted to go home, collect evidence and prepare his case.


Documents before the court said Kraschnefski blamed the woman for "destroying his career, family and life" after she declared him unfit for service following consultations in 2000.

Kraschnefski phoned the woman in early December 2014, prompting her to take out a personal protection order barring Kraschnefski from contacting her again, the documents said.

The order was served on Kraschnefski on December 23.

It's alleged he contravened it hours later by bombarding the woman with threatening voicemail messages, saying he had firearms buried in the bush and promising he had not forgotten "the vow" he'd made to her.

"Wherever you hang your shingle, I will get you. I'll go to jail for it, I don't care," he allegedly said.

Police allege Kraschnefski contacted the woman at least 33 times in the next two months via text message and phone calls, often leaving abusive voice messages.

In one incident he allegedly wrote "we should stuff you in a large jar of metho", while on another occasion a text message read, "I wish you death upon death".

The woman reported the matter to police, who tracked Kraschnefski to a house in Berowra.

However, police subsequently lost track of Kraschnefski's whereabouts, and it wasn't until February 2 that officers discovered he was living in Wollongong.

In Wollongong Local Court on Thursday, Magistrate Michael Stoddart granted AFP officers permission to extradite Kraschnefski to Canberra to face the allegations.

Magistrate Bernadette Boss remanded Kraschnefski in custody, taking into consideration the ongoing concern felt by the victim and the likelihood of him committing further offences.

The matter will return to court later this month.