Light-rail: Dope or Nope? Coolio says yes

Henry Belot

Coolio will perform in Canberra in August

Coolio will perform in Canberra in August

American hip-hop legend Coolio has hailed Canberra’s light-rail project as “dope” and told Yarralumla residents concerned their suburb could turn into a ghetto that it probably already is one.

The rapper, otherwise known as Artis Leon Ivey Jr and famous for the timeless classic Gangsta’s Paradise, has weighed in on some of Canberra’s more contentious urban planning issues ahead of his upcoming Australian tour.

While members of the ACT Legislative Assembly continue to trade blows over the viability of a light rail network in Canberra, the boy from Compton remained steadfast in his commitment to horizontal electric transportation.

Artist's impressions of the proposed Capital Metro light rail.

Artist's impressions of the proposed Capital Metro light rail.

“I think a light rail system is dope,” he told the Canberra Times.

“It's a very inexpensive form of transportation and very easy to get around, so yes, it's dope.”

But Coolio, a man with diverse credits including the creation of the Ghetto Gourmet cuisine, didn't stop there.

The dreadlocked rapper had some advice for Yarralumla residents worried their leafy suburb will be transformed into a “ghetto of crime and god knows what else” by the residential development of the former Canberra Brickworks.

“Don't worry about that because if you are it's probably already a ghetto,” he said.

“If you growing and coming up in the hood find a way to make it better or find a way to get out Shaka Zulu!!”

In his emailed responses to a range of questions, Coolio also had plenty to say about Australian hip-hop star Iggy Azalea whose track Fancy has risen to the tops of the US charts.

“I like her story of coming to America, she raps like she is from the south and she can get it so tell her I said ‘back it now back it now’,” he said.

Coolio, who has sold more than 18 million records and starred in two seasons of Celebrity Big Brother in the US, said his enthusiasm for the song Gangsta’s Paradise refuses to wane after nearly 20 years.

“It's a really good song,” he said.

“Every time I perform it it's like doing it for the first time. Every crowd is different so every time I perform it's different so no, I don't get sick of it.”

Coolio also shared hairstyle tips with the Canberra Times and said his trademark hairstyle was inspired by his continual frustration with his braids curling up at the ends.

“One day I told the person that braids my hair to braided [sic] my hair up and then ‘BAM!’, my hair was in the air,” he said.

Coolio said Canberrans can expect an entertaining night and “a real hip hop show” when he performs at Transit Bar on August 4.

“Of course I've got the goods," he said. "I been in this industry for a long time and consistently been working."

- with Erika Bacon

• Yeah he would know wouldn't he.
    How many other policy decisions did you question him about?
    pretty low brow article, but it's fairfax I guess

what the
    July 23, 2014, 10:45AM
    • I think it's refreshing, especially considering the quality of a lot of other articles around. I'm just glad they didn't have a response from Shane Rattenbury.

Mads
      July 23, 2014, 12:55PM
    • I wonder what Master Coolio's opinion of the decision to revoke the Carbon Tax was and if had an opinion on the $7 medicare co-payment? Probably something like, 'power and the money, money and the power, minute after minute, hour after hour'.

Wassssup?

Peter
      July 23, 2014, 1:38PM
    • When I was growing up over the road it was called simply SLUMLA....because of all the weatherboard houses & government housing tenants.
      Things have changed a bit now with property prices going up, the quality of residents has gone down.
      Money can't buy you manners....or good taste.

dusty
      YarraSLUMLA
      July 23, 2014, 8:34PM
  • Yesssss!!! This is pure gold.. Now those Liberal lame-o's understand the real realities uf urban planning! thank you coolio for brightening my day, see you at Transit.

2601
    July 23, 2014, 10:52AM
    • Mr Coolio obviously possesses a wisdom beyond his years, particularly in matters of urban design and the application of a mass transit system to a planned city such as Canberra. I for one welcome him as both an artist and an ambassador for the bureaucrat that lives deep within us all!

Stir the pot
      July 23, 2014, 10:58AM
      • Wonder why he's a rapper and not an urban designer? Why don't these people mind their own business!

Paul
        July 23, 2014, 1:14PM
      • @Paul, so he shouldn't answer questions he's directly asked? The world would be a quiet place if people only ever talked about things they actually knew about.

Mads
        July 23, 2014, 2:28PM
      • @Paul...Your statement is self defeating. If you still hold it to be true then it follows that there should be no community consultations because not all community members are urban designers... what would they know about urban design?

csword
        July 23, 2014, 4:34PM
      • @ csword, our planning ministers have already used veto powers to overturn community concerns, thank you to Labor for that. So your opinion is mute.

Rex
        July 23, 2014, 9:04PM

Special offers

Credit card, savings and loan rates by Mozo