The family of a Canberra father who slammed his six-year-old son’s head against a wall have promised to call the police if he breaches bail.
The 44-year-old pleaded guilty in the ACT Magistrates Court last month to charges of abusing a child and common assault.
The court heard the father had been drinking in July when he bashed his son’s head against a bedroom wall at least three times.
He was arrested and granted bail under the condition he live with his sister in Chisholm, not contact his de-facto and children, and not visit the family’s Downer home.
But he was rearrested on Tuesday after police alleged he breached his bail conditions by visiting the property.
The defendant was also charged with fresh counts of abusing a child and common assault.
He did not enter a plea to the fresh charges.
A police informant told the court the alleged victim reported he was struck across the face with a leather belt while watching television between August 7 and September 5.
Police spoke to neighbours in Downer who reported seeing the father taking his two children to school, in breach of his bail conditions.
But the defendant’s sister told the court he could not have breached his bail because “all he does is sit in his room and watch TV”.
The prosecution opposed bail, arguing the father was a risk of reoffending.
But the defence said the police had not provided the court with enough evidence to keep the man in custody.
The defence said the matter required further investigation.
Magistrate Beth Campbell said police could not ignore the child’s report of further abuse.
“They’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t,” the magistrate said.
Ms Campbell granted the man bail but made his sister and defacto pledge to immediately contact police if he breached.
The magistrate said the two women were in charge of the child’s safety and protection, warning they would be violating court orders if they failed.