An 18-year-old man was left in a critical condition, suffering burns to 80 per cent of his body after an explosion at a granny flat out the back of a home on Surveyor Street in Queanbeyan on Thursday night.
The man was taken to Canberra Hospital in a critical condition after the explosion which happened just after 10pm, and police said he was airlifted to Concord Hospital's burns unit on Friday morning.
A Sydney Local Health District spokesman was unable to release any further details on the man's condition.
Police established a crime scene at the property, but the Duty Officer at Queanbeyan Police Station said he believed the incident may have been caused by a gas leak.
Police were called to the home on Thursday night after a loud explosion was reported.
On arrival, they found the man suffering severe burns.
The man was then treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics, before being taken to The Canberra Hospital.
Police said there were no other reports of injury.
Police are urging anyone with information is urged to contact Queanbeyan Police via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.