A Canberra man has been refused bail after facing court on allegations he threatened to kill his former partner because she would not give him immediate access to their child.
The 28-year-old sent text messages to the former partner on January 19 this year in which he said he wanted to kill her and to see his two-year-old son before "the day turnz (sic) bad", court documents read.
Another text allegedly said there was "1 bullet 4 (sic) u and 1 bullet 4 (sic) me" and warned that he was not joking.
The man, of no fixed address, was charged in the ACT Magistrates Court on Saturday with making a threat to kill along with offences related to a failure to appear at an ACT Supreme Court sentencing hearing on February 18.
Court documents stated the defendant's partner had refused requests for him to have time with the child on January 18 as he was heavily using ice again and was aggressive and demanding.
The nature of the threats then shifted the day after.
One voicemail from the defendant allegedly saying he had lost everything and now his former partner would too.
"I am going to end your life by the end of the day," the transcribed voicemail said.
A domestic violence order to protect the woman had been made last July after the defendant held her hostage and threatened her with a knife, court documents said.
Duty defence lawyer Michael Johnson, asking for bail, said the defendant had two children in the area who he saw frequently and also had employment.
The defendant has four previous convictions for failing to appear and was convicted in 2006 for aggravated robbery and attempted aggravated robbery.
Magistrate Peter Morrison refused bail, saying the charges were serious and were an incentive to not appear before the court.
The defendant will reappear before the Magistrates Court on Thursday.