ACT News


Snake escapes in Kambah after enclosure catches alight in house fire

A house fire in Kambah started when a snake terrarium housing a python caught alight on Friday morning.

Emergency services said the pet snake escaped during the small blaze on Macquoid Place and the fire has left behind a $10,000 damage bill.

The python is about 60cm long.

The house was damaged as the fire spread to the adjoining wall and the snake's tank was also destroyed. 

Firefghters extinguished the fire at about 10.20am.

ACT Fire and Rescue was ventilating the home from smoke on Friday morning.