ACT News

License article

Waramanga man, 47, dead and woman, 41, injured after Kambah disturbance

Police say a Waramanga man who was found dead at a Kambah home this week was house-sitting with his partner, who was seriously injured in a disturbance on Wednesday.

Nearby residents reportedly heard a woman scream for help and one neighbour called police after hearing a loud argument at the Everard Place home about 2.20am on Wednesday.

When officers arrived they found the man, 47, dead and the woman, 41, injured inside the home.

She was taken to Canberra Hospital with serious injuries and was in a stable condition on Friday.

ACT Policing on Friday revealed the pair was in a relationship. 

Police have not released details of the man's cause of death. They have, however, ruled out any third parties. 


The Coroner will carry out a post-mortem on the man's body today. 

No arrests have been made and investigations into the incident are continuing.

The man and woman's immediate families have been told of the incident, as have the owners of the Kambah home. 

Detectives are expected to remain at the house for several more days as they continue to examine the crime scene.

Police tape, which had blocked the street, was taken down on Wednesday night but the house remained fenced off and a tent was erected in the front yard as police came and went from the property on Thursday morning.

Forensic investigators continued to examine the scene, while markers and purple spray paint could be seen on the driveway and front yard of the house and neighbouring property.

Few neighbours could recall details of the home's residents but said they were shocked the tragedy had happened in their quiet street. 

One man, who has lived in the area for more than 20 years, previously said he heard a woman's screams coming from the property about 2.25am.

"She called many times before, 'help'," he said.

"It sounded like she had come outside and was screaming for help.

"It was a very deep sound I could hear. When that happens to you, you live with that for a long time."

It is the first suspicious death in Canberra this year and the second in the past two months.

Police are still investigating the death of Evatt man Andrew Carville after his body was found on defence land at Majura in late November.

Any information to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or at Quote reference P1440453.