BUYERS are taking advantage of the weaker Canberra real estate market to negotiate sales after auction, a real estate agent says.
McGrath Estate Agents Woden agent Cameron Whitnall managed two Narrabundah homes at auction yesterday, with both passing in before selling by negotiation soon after.
Two registered bidders vied for a two-bedroom home at 30 Carnegie Crescent, Narrabundah on Saturday.
Bidding started at $650,000 but stalled at $760,000 after one couple dropped out at $750,000.
The eventual buyers then negotiated a $795,000 price away from the crowd of neighbours and sightseers in attendance at the auction.
Mr Whitnall said it was a common ploy.
''Some people don't like the spotlight and decide to negotiate after,'' Mr Whitnall said
''In a more active market, where there's more bidders they don't get the opportunity. But in this market they can.''
Mr Whitnall said it was a good result for a two-bedroom, 562-square-metre home in Narrabundah.
''It's quite a unique property, it's been fully renovated and a lot of unique design features.''
Thirty-eight properties went to auction on Saturday, with 19 of those properties selling under the hammer.
Five surpassed the magic million-dollar mark.
Independent Property Group sold all three homes on offer under the hammer. The best performer was 14/9 Bowen Drive, Barton, which fetched $1.38 million.
Mid-week auctions again proved popular, with 33 properties up for auction. LJ Hooker sold 50 per cent of the six on offer, while Ray White sold eight of 27 homes.
THIS WEEK'S RESULTS
- 41 Canning Street, Ainslie - sold for $774,000
- 29 Whatmore Circuit, Nicholls - sold for $702,000
- 14/9 Bowen Drive, Barton - sold for $1.38 million
- 72 Captain Cook Crescent, Griffith - passed in
- 1/3 Tenison Woods Circuit, Bonython - passed in
- 27 Embling Street, Wanniassa - passed in
- 12 Elischer Street, Dunlop - unavailable
- 508/21 Marcus Clarke Street, Civic - sold for $775,000
- 12 Shore Place, Weston - passed in
- 1/53 Captain Cook Crescent, Griffith - passed in
- 6 Garsia Street, Campbell - sale pending
- 40 Rischbieth Crescent, Gilmore - passed in
- 11 Spur Place, Royalla - passed in
- 3 Birchall Street, Gordon - sold for $635,000
- 6 Winser Crescent, Gleneagles - passed in
- 1A Woods Close, Murrumbateman - passed in
- 26/165 Clive Steele Avenue, Monash - sold for $457,000
- 14 Morehead Street, Curtin - passed in
- 63 Carruthers Street, Curtin - sold for $817,500
- 28 Greenway Street, Turner - passed in
- 28 Durville Crescent, Griffith - sold for $1.85 million
- 64 Williams Wilkins Crescent, Isaacs - passed in
- 17 Walker Crescent, Griffith - sold for $1.045 million
- 21 Mawson Drive, Mawson - sold for $712,000
- 11 Hope Street, Dickson - sold for $657,500
- 27 Melbourne Avenue, Forrest - passed in
- 13 Folingsby Street, Weston - passed in
- 114 La Perouse Street, Griffith - sold for $950,000
- 17 Mawson Drive, Mawson - under offer
- 9 Florey Drive, Macgregor - sold prior for $444,000
- 106 Mt Vernon Drive, Gleneagles - passed in
- 116 Scrivener Street, O'Connor - passed in
- 27 Barringer Street, Conder - passed in
- 17 Wisdom Street, Hughes - passed in
- 44 Parkhill Street, Pearce - sold for $1.195 million
- 8 Fristrom Crescent, North Lyneham - passed in
- 25 Morehead Street, Curtin - passed in
- 15 Bainton, Crescent, Melba - passed in
- 25 Blackwell Circuit, Flynn - passed in
- 4 Heney Close, McKellar - passed in
- 7/2 Lambrigg Street, Farrer - passed in
- 13 Plummer Street, Weetangera - sold for $706,000
- 5 Decker Place, Fadden - passed in
- 30 Carnegie Crescent, Narrabundah - sold for $695,000
- 40 Lumeah Street, Narrabundah - sold for $670,000
- 24 Arndell Street, Macquarie - withdrawn
- 24A Arndell Street, Macquarie - passed in
- 4/5 Wise Street, Braddon - passed in
- 59 Woodland Avenue, Carwoola - passed in
- 8 Bradley Close, Murrumbateman - unavailable
- 17 McClung Street, Gungahlin - withdrawn
- 29 Pokana Circuit, Kaleen - sold for $548,888.
- 30 McIntyre Street, Narrabundah - sold for $1.295 million
Mid-week auction results
- 95 Carlile Street, Evatt - sold for $660,500.
- 6 Clyde Place, Kaleen - passed in
- 81 Alice Cummins Street, Gungahlin - sold for $473,000.
- 16 McClung Street, Gungahlin - passed in
- 9/10 Macquoid Street Queanbeyan - sold for $155,00.
- 4/50 Trinculo Place, Queanbeyan - passed in
- 3 Jandamarra Street, Ngunnawal - sold for $451,000
- 70 Fox Road, Royalla - passed in
- 15 Smeaton Circuit, Banks - passed in
- 32 Culgoa Street, O'Malley - sold for $1.24 million
- 18 Bungendore Road, Queanbeyan - passed in
- 11 Munro Road, Queanbeyan - sold for $480,000
- Villa 15 ''Rosewood Estate'' Taronga Place , O'Malley - passed in
- 63 Narden Street, Crace - passed in
- 10 Southern Close, Chisholm - sold for $425,000
- 11 Rosman Circuit, Gilmore - passed in
- 15/35 Brockway Circuit, Banks - passed in
- 25 Dowling Street, Watson - passed in
- 16 Buchanan Street, Narrabundah - passed in
- 9 Allan Place, Curtin - sold for $675,000
- Canowindra, 2286 George Russell Drive, ''Billabong'' - passed in
- 48 Beacon Place, Googong - passed in
- 10 Ariah Place, Palmerston - sold for $680,000
- 41 William Wilkins Crescent, Isaacs - passed in
- 111 Bicentennial Drive, Jerrabomberra - passed in
- 26 Kangaroo Close, Nicholls - sold for $440,000
- 30/9 Coral Drive, Jerrabomberra - passed in
- 7 Jarrah Street, Karabar - passed in
- 1 Starrit Place, Macarthur - passed in
- 134 Pockett Avenue, Banks - passed in
- 6 Warrai Place, Waramanga - sold for $500,000
- 47 Fitchett Street, Garran - passed in
- 4 Horsley Crescent, Melba - passed in
■ To have your sales included in Auction Watch, email them before 5pm Saturday to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 6280 2211.