ACT News


Woman dead after she was hit by bus in Manuka

Police have revealed the woman killed by a bus in Manuka on Wednesday was Carolle Harrison.

Ms Harrison was struck by bus carrying school children while crossing Canberra Avenue in Griffith.

Police said the incident - the second fatal accident for the day - happened about 3.55pm at the intersection of Canberra Avenue and Manuka Circle.

The bus was turning left into Canberra Avenue next to Manuka Oval when it, and a pedestrian - who was crossing Canberra Avenue - collided. 

Someone attempted to revive the woman but she died at the scene. It was the ninth road fatality in the ACT this year.

Police have not revealed any details about the woman, except to say she was an older lady and lived nearby.


Traffic built up in the area after police closed part of the road while they investigated.

Acting superintendent Rod Anderson said the school children, who were on a Qcity bus, had been taken to Woden police station for counselling and to help them with their inquiries. The bus driver is also helping police with their inquiries. 

"We'll provide all the necessary support and counselling required because this is a fairly traumatic event for everyone to be involved in," he said.

"It was a busy time of day and there are a number of witnesses."

Superintendent Anderson said details of the incident, including who had right of way, were still being determined.

"We'll speak to the driver and all the other witnesses and if necessary, prepare a report for the coroner," he said. 

He urged drivers in the area to be patient.

"[Road closures] are creating quite a bit of traffic congestion around Manuka," he said.

"We ask people just to be patient on their way home this afternoon."

Police have asked anyone who witnessed the collision and has not yet spoken to police to contact CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000 or via

It is the second fatality on the region's roads in a number of hours.

A 71-year-old Wanniassa man has died after a single-vehicle accident on Lanyon Drive, Queanbeyan.

Inspector Chris Varley said Queanbeyan police officers performed CPR and attempted to revive the man for 30 minutes but he was unresponsive. 

"At this stage the cause of death is unknown. We are yet to determine whether the accident was the cause of death or if the driver had an existing medical condition, which may have also caused the accident," he said.

The accident happened about 11.30am and police describe the car, a grey Ford ute, as "ping ponging" across the road.

"The driver has veered to the left side of the road and clipped a power pole. The car has come back and hit a guardrail, travelled across the median strip and hit another guard rail," he said.

- with Kim, Pham, Queanbeyan Age