Shane Rattenbury. Photo: Supplied
Work is due to start next week on an upgrade of one of Canberra’s oldest roads, Wentworth Avenue in Kingston.
Opposition planning spokesman Alistair Coe said he lobbied for an upgrade of the road before $1 million was allocated in last year’s budget.
He welcomed the start of the work and warned Roads ACT to properly manage the construction period, saying too often motorists were being asked to slow down during roadworks when no work was actually going on.
Wentworth Avenue was built in the 1920s and about 20,000 vehicles now travel on the road each day.
Territory and Municipal Services Minister Shane Rattenbury said about 650metres of the city-bound lanes would receive a new surface and kerbs and guttering.
‘‘The pavement upgrade to the city-bound carriageway of Wentworth Avenue, from Burke Crescent to Dawes Street, will make the road safer for motorists, cyclists and other road users, and will improve the amenity of the area,’’ he said.
Work on each of the two city-bound lanes will be completed separately. Traffic will be limited to one lane while work is in progress.
The right-hand lane will be completed first. It will be closed from this Monday until May 10.
During the works, Burke Crescent, Cunningham Street and Dawes Street will be closed to through traffic at the intersection with Wentworth Avenue. Vehicles will still be able to make a left-hand turn onto Wentworth Avenue at these intersections during the stage-one works on the right-hand lane.
Pedestrians will not be able to cross Wentworth Avenue between Burke Crescent and Dawes Street and will have to cross at the intersection with Eyre Street. Motorists should consider using alternative routes to avoid possible delays. Barriers as well as warning and diversion signs will be erected to alert people to the closure.
The work is due to be finished by the end of June. For more details on road closures, call Canberra Connect on 13 22 81.