The Ainslie Football Club is confident it will still make the NEAFL finals in 2014 despite its ''minimal decrease'' in funding from the overarching Ainslie Group.

The group announced in its annual report it would reduce funding to the Tricolours over the next three years, in line ''with what is happening at other licensed sporting clubs operating throughout the ACT''.

Ainslie football manager John Smith said the reduced funding would not affect the total spend on player salaries and backed the group's decision to tighten its belt.

While the Ainslie Group recorded a profit of $62,000 for last financial year, its Canberra City Bowling Club operation was still losing money and appears likely to be closed and redeveloped.

But Smith said the football club was still strong. It signed a three-year commitment to the NEAFL on Wednesday night.

Canberra's other NEAFL clubs - Queanbeyan, Eastlake and Belconnen - were also committed to the second-tier league for the next three years.

''It's a minimal decrease, we're all just doing our bit to help the club out,'' Smith said on Wednesday.

''We're not worried at all, to tell you the truth.

''It doesn't really affect the player or on-field budgets. We'll be cool.

''It's never been a consideration [to quit the NEAFL], always play at the top level if you can and that's the NEAFL at the moment.

''They've guaranteed us three years and we'll accept that tonight. Hopefully it turns into a bigger and better competition.''

Ainslie Group chief executive Simon Patterson said the football club and the Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club were ''well positioned'' to be ongoing concerns.

The group made a small profit last year after posting a $1.9 million loss in 2011-12. This was largely due to a $5.3 million renovation of the golf club.

''I think the Ainslie Group is well positioned for the future and there was an extremely large turnaround from the previous year and certainly we would expect that would be better for the following financial year [as well],'' Patterson said.

Smith said pre-season training was wrapping up for the Christmas break.

Recruit Nick Salter, who played 21 AFL games for Port Adelaide, had returned to Adelaide for the festive season.

The Tricolours have also signed key forward Mitchell Ward, from The Rock-Yerong Creek club in the Farrer league, and former Tuggeranong Hawk James Rice.

Despite interest by SANFL and VFL clubs, they have also held on to gun midfielder and reigning best-and-fairest Aaron Vandenberg.

It has Smith full of confidence for 2014, despite a NEAFL restructure which has 14 teams - including four AFL reserves - are fighting for just six finals berths.

''It'd be rare that all four of the AFL teams fire in the one year,'' he said. ''History tells us one or two have a down year. We're confident we can take one of those six spots.''