AFL

UPDATED
Save
Print
License article

Collingwood's Jordan De Goey out for six weeks after admitting he lied about broken hand

Collingwood youngster Jordan De Goey will miss at least the first six weeks of the season - and probably more - after receiving a three-week club ban to come into effect only after the hand he broke in a bar fight and lied about has repaired.

It has emerged that the Collingwood players had agreed on Friday that a week out from their first game it would be wise not to drink on the weekend. Only hours later De Goey got in a fight in a St Kilda bar and broke his hand.

Up Next

Essendon into top eight

null
Video duration
01:30

More AFL Real Footy Videos

AFLW plays of round 7

Melbourne kick a record score, GWS win the wooden spoon, Adelaide beat the Pies to make the grand final and Carlton ruin Brisbane's perfect win-record in the last game of the regular season.

He initially told the club an implausible story of a freak injury while playing with his dog and hitting his hand on a door knob, but late on Monday he finally contacted the club to come clean about the real cause of the injury.

De Goey asked for a meeting with coach Nathan Buckley and football manager Geoff Walsh because he had to correct the story he gave them and to deal with the consequences of having lied to them and embarrassing Buckley by having him publicly defend him with the flimsy alibi.

De Goey, a  top-10 draft pick, admitted to Buckley and Walsh at Tuesday's meeting that he had made up the  dog  story but was adamant he had not been drinking.

Advertisement

De Goey, who turned 21 last week, told the club that while his friends were drinking on Friday night  he had not been when he got in a fight and broke his hand.

"He was with mates and they were drinking but he was not. He had plenty of time to change that story if it was not true and he is adamant he was not drinking," Walsh said.

De Goey recorded a video message to Collingwood fans on the club  website in which he sought forgiveness for his behaviour.

"I am really disappointed in my actions over the weekend, There are two things I am disappointed in. One being my action and the other was making up an excuse as to what really happened to me," De Goey said,  his right hand heavily bandaged.

"Understandably over the weekend's events I have definitely lost some of the trust of the playing group, the coaching staff and everyone who works at the club here.

"I would like to apologise to all the fans and supporters. Obviously my decision on the weekend is going to affect me playing for a few weeks and not being able to support the team."

Collingwood's players were on a day off on Tuesday but captain Scott Pendlebury and vice-captains Steele Sidebottom and Taylor Adams attended the club and agreed De Goey should be suspended, receive a $5000 fine and serve 10 weeks of community service.

Walsh admitted De Goey had to re-earn the trust of the coach and players after lying and putting Buckley in the invidious position of having to defend his story.

"He realises that and he is remorseful. He knows he needs to recover the coach's faith and trust. We will always invest faith, trust and belief in our players but when we find that badly placed ... we won't tolerate that stuff. He has to earn that trust again," Walsh said.

Under the punishment De Goey will not be considered for senior selection for three weeks once he is deemed fit to resume playing. De Goey had surgery on the hand on Monday.

"If it takes him three weeks to get over the hand, he won't be considered for six weeks," Walsh said. "The moment he is considered fit to play, he serves his three-week suspension. That doesn't mean he comes straight in after three weeks.

"He can play VFL but he won't be selected for AFL. It could be 10 weeks before we see him in the senior team."

De Goey had been one of the Magpies' most impressive players of the pre-season and was not only likely to play in round one but was expected to be an important contributor in his third season.

A minor quad muscle complaint stopped him playing the last pre-season match.

His injury opens the door for recruit Chris Mayne to come into calculation for the team to play the Bulldogs while Tim Broomhead, who has endured a bad run of injuries and illness in his time at the club, shapes as a chance to play after good form in the pre-season.

Walsh said forward Jamie Elliott was likely to return to full training with the senior group in the next week and be a chance for round two. Recruit Daniel Wells is a week behind that.

"We will not see him [Wells] anywhere in the first and second rounds of the season ... but he should rejoin the senior group for training later this week," Walsh said.