Concussed Queanbeyan Tigers midfielder Toby Conroy to miss next month of NEAFL

Not quite right in the head.

That's how Queanbeyan Tigers ball magnet Toby Conroy describes the lingering effects of his second concussion in three weeks.

It's not a headache, but he feels heavy in the head and gets tired more quickly.

Conroy will miss the next month of football, starting with the Tigers' game against Ainslie at Alan Ray Oval on Saturday, after he was on the wrong end of a hip-and-shoulder against Belconnen last weekend.

It came just three weeks after his first concussion, which was against Southport on the Gold Coast.

Concussion is a hot topic across all football codes, with Wests Tigers utility Liam Fulton retiring from the NRL this week following  four  concussions this season.


FIFA has also been under fire after players with apparent concussions returned to the field during the World Cup in Brazil.

The Tigers had a bye after the Queensland trip and then Conroy missed the next game against Sydney Hills Eagles before returning to take on Belconnen.

He's had a CT scan and gone through  a series of cognitive, balance and memory tests.

It was the 31-year-old's first  concussion  since 2003. He also also had a nasty one when he was 15.

It's something Conroy is keen to avoid in the future.

"I saw the sports doctor yesterday and she expects me to be OK, but [I'm] probably looking at [missing] at least  a month of footy and then we'll see whether there's a chance to come back for the rest of the year," he said.

"That'll depend on how I feel. It's not exactly what I wanted, but that's footy I guess.

"I get tired pretty quick, it's hard to describe.

"I don't have a headache, but I don't feel right, I feel a bit heavy in the head ... not quite right in the head is probably the best way to put it."

He has no recollection of the incident and has a gap in his memory from a minute or two before it until about 10 minutes after.

Conroy was bumped as he kicked the ball getting caught high and then his head also hit the ground  in what he described as a double whammy.

The physiotherapist thought mandatory breaks after concussions weren't needed and should be treated on a case-by-case basis.

He said it was important for players to be aware of symptoms and not  hide them from medical staff.

It's something Conroy thought had improved  in recent years.

In the past, it was considered a sign of weakness not to return to the field regardless of the potential long-term damage.

"Some people recover really well and some people recover a bit slow," Conroy said.

"The cautious approach now is probably better. Blokes aren't encouraged to go back onto the field if they've had a head injury.

"There's a bit more strict guidelines how to return to sport ... as far as mandatory stand down, I'm not sure if it's necessary."


Saturday: Belconnen v Sydney Swans at Kippax, 12pm; Redland v Eastlake in Brisbane, 12pm; Ainslie v Queanbeyan at Alan Ray Oval, 2pm.