ADELAIDE will have to cut another player from its senior list should Kurt Tippett try to join Sydney through the pre-season draft as expected.
The Crows have been told they cannot delist Tippett after next week's first list lodgement deadline, pending the AFL's investigation into its recontracting of him in 2009.
That, and the fact Tippett had been offered a new contract, means he will not be able to sign directly with the Swans as a delisted free agent.
Adelaide expects to be stripped of picks in this year's national draft, but must still clear four spots on its list ahead of the second list lodgement date of November 15. The club must make three mandatory selections at the November 22 draft and free an extra pick for Brad Crouch, chosen in last year's 17-year-old mini-draft. Crouch does not count as one of the compulsory three picks.
The Crows have removed Chris Knights, Michael Doughty and Brad Symes from their senior list, and traded in Richmond ruckman Angus Graham.
Ian Callinan, who played as a nominated rookie this season, comes off the list but will go straight back on as an upgraded rookie, counting as a selection.
Tippett could nominate for the national draft as an out-of-contract player by the November 13 deadline, sparing his ex-teammate. But the Swans want to land him via the pre-season draft. For the forward, that would mean remaining on the Crows' list until after the national draft, then nominating for the pre-season draft as an uncontracted listed player by November 28.
The Crows could redraft their delisted player, but the player affected would have to go through the national draft first and risk being picked up by another club.
Adelaide's list squeeze was partly why the club pulled paperwork that would have sent Sydney's pick 23 and Jesse White to Adelaide in exchange for Tippett at the end of the second week of trading.
After that deal was scuttled the Crows went to the league confessing to the side deal with Tippett that agreed to trade him to the club of his choice for a second-round draft pick and to underwrite $200,000 of third-party payments.
Any decision reached by Tippett must be approved by the AFL - including any salary terms that he nominates.
The forward and his manager, Peter Blucher, are also under scrutiny for their part in the undisclosed deal. In other trade fallout, Port Adelaide youngster Ben Jacobs will consider his next step this week, after North Melbourne's efforts to secure him were unsuccessful.
New Power coach Ken Hinkley was optimistic about retaining Jacobs, before leaving with the team for a training camp in Milan, and the midfielder's manager, Paul Connors, did not rule it out. Jacobs' preference has been to return to Melbourne.
''We talk to Ben and we try and understand where Ben's at with his decision and hopefully we've got an opportunity that Ben may still consider Port Adelaide,'' Hinkley told the Power's website.
On the final day of trading, Dons defender Cale Hooker knocked back a three-year offer to join West Coast.