Former Essendon chief executive Ian Robson says he accepts "full accountability" for the discredited injecting program run at the club in 2012 but has refused to publicly declare whether he read a letter by the club doctor outlining his concerns.
Robson resigned in May 2013, admitting at the time that he had agreed with the assessment of an internal report by Ziggy Switkowski into Essendon's governance that "lack of proper process" had occurred.
He soon joined Melbourne Victory as chief executive, and has since refused to discuss the Bombers' injecting program, having been interviewed by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority in the weeks after the club self-reported in February 2013.
However, on Wednesday, he briefly touched on the subject, as it emerged those close to some of the banned 34 players were considering legal action against Stephen Dank, the man at the centre of the scandal.
"I have been really consistent in saying for the three years ... that I stand by what I said at my WADA interview. I think (former chairman) David Evans was interview No.1. I was interview No.2, all the way back in February of 2013," Robson said on SEN radio.
"I stand by what I said on the day I resigned - I accepted, if you like, full accountability for what took place on my watch. I resigned. I wasn't responsible for those actions.
"Ziggy Switkowski said at the time that I accept that the CEO didn't know but I am also clear in my view that the CEO must know everything.
"I accepted that consequence, that statement, and I resigned in May. I accepted full responsibility and accountability for what took place on my watch and any further commentary by me beyond that is not something I am going to contribute to. It's not something I have done for three years and I am not going to change that stance now."
Robson said the year-long suspensions handed out by the Court of Arbitration for Sport to the 34 players was shattering.
"It was incredibly and desperately disappointing for the players, just the worst possible of scenarios I am sure had been contemplated by everybody," he said.
"I have had very minimal contact with the club and the players throughout the time I have left. I think all sorts of scenarios had to be contemplated once it went to the CAS tribunal and once it effectively left Australian legal jurisdiction albeit the hearing itself was still held in Sydney.
"This was clearly at the outer extremities of worst case scenarios both in terms of finding and, perhaps even more importantly, sanctions."
In his interview with ASADA, Robson said he had no memory of the letter club doctor Bruce Reid wrote in January 2012 to James Hird and former football manager, Paul Hamilton, outlining his concerns about the injecting program.
In his ASADA interview, Hamilton, who did not return calls on Wednesday, has also said he had no memory of the letter, despite Reid leaving it on his desk, but he remembers Reid voicing his concerns in a meeting and relaying these to Robson.
When pressed on Wednesday, Robson refused to answer any questions about the letter.
"Those questions and many more were asked of me in the context of my ASADA interview. They were asked of me in the context of my interview with Ziggy when he ran his internal review," he said.
"I have answered fully and honestly and diligently at every stage I have been asked to through those formal processes but one thing I haven't done and will not do is enter into a forum through avenues such as this to add to public debate because it's been completely inconsistent with everything that I have done for three years."
Hird has said Robson was responsible for reporting channels at the club, with Hamilton and Hird reporting directly but independently to Robson.
Hird has written that "this often surprises people but it was how Robson wanted it and so how we ran it".