Fremantle has confirmed luckless midfielder Anthony Morabito will undergo the revolutionary LARS surgery on his left knee - a move that could see him return to AFL action as soon as mid-year.
Morabito last week tore the graft on his twice-surgically repaired knee, prompting the need for a third knee reconstruction.
Morabito injured again
Fremantle midfielder Anthony Morabito is set to miss third straight season after re-injuring the anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee, in an innocuous looking incident at training on Wednesday morning.
The Dockers announced today that Morabito would travel to Sydney next week to have the LARS procedure.
Fremantle's general manager of football operations Chris Bond said no time frame would be put on Morabito's return to the field
But the AFL's poster child for LARS, Sydney's Nick Malceski, has twice played football eight weeks after the operation.
"After discussions with people close to him and the football club, Anthony has decided that this surgery will give him the best chance to resume his playing career," Bond said.
"Obviously with LARS there's a shorter time frame with coming back, but we think he just needs to get back from the surgery and make sure that everything is okay first," Bond said.
"We'll see how he recovers from that and then we'll have a better idea."
Malceski's two LARS operations have enabled him to return to be runner-up in Sydney's fairest-and-best in 2007 and then kick the sealing goal in last year's grand final win.
Morabito has been stalled on 23 games since his debut season of 2010, in which he was Rising Star nominee.
He first hurt the knee the next pre-season and then did it again in the middle of last year as he geared up for an AFL comeback.
His latest mishap came during a seemingly innocuous incident at training, as he moved in to tackle young teammate Tanner Smith.
Morabito's current Fremantle contract ends at the end of the 2013 AFL season.