Live AFL blog with Rohan Connolly

GWS pushed aside the challenge of Lance Franklin's Swans.

GWS pushed aside the challenge of Lance Franklin's Swans. Photo: Getty Images

On Saturday, history of sorts was made, the Giants and Suns winning together for the first time in any round, let alone on the same day.

It was a big victory for the architects of an even broader national competition. Conversely, it also appeared to be the signal for a collective outpouring of angst from the naysayers that had AFL as we know it coming to a sorry end. How far do you think the two newest clubs will get in 2014?

Other topics you may want to discuss:

Is the best of Buddy Franklin behind him? (Matthew Lloyd thinks so).

Is Collingwood gone?

Who likes Sunday night footy?

Should Carlton re-sign Mick Malthouse?

Discuss the footy issues that matter to you with The Age's voice of the people, from 12 noon Monday. Leave your comments below or return at midday to chat live.

• Hi Rohan,

I picked Carlton for 12th this year and Port for 9th - i'm surprised as to why Carlton were fav's going in to the game? They don't apepar to have a sound structure or any excitement about them. Has Mick taken the fun out of Carlton? Teams need belief and excitement - just see exhibits A and B (GWS, Suns). I think Mick is too surly for his own good.

matty mc
    melb
    March 17, 2014, 8:32AM
    • I agree with the confusion - I tipped both Carlton and Richmond against my better judgment because I assumed the bookies knew something that I didn't. They didn't.

mabbama
      March 17, 2014, 12:06PM
    • Hi Matty, I tipped Port, thought their pre-season form was a lot more sound. As for Mick, hard one to answer, but Blues certainly have some issues with their on-field leadership and I think their forward set-up.

Rohan Connolly
      March 17, 2014, 12:07PM
    • Port will make a solid run for the top 4. There are lots of average teams out there, the first half of round one is proof already.

Tim
      March 17, 2014, 12:52PM
  • Rohan,
    When did you last correctly pick the grand finalists, final eight, and premiers, prior to the start of the season? And what makes your predictions this year any more accurate than last?
    Indeed, how accurate were your predictions from lat year?

adgy
    March 17, 2014, 8:50AM
    • i know it's round 1, but has the famous sydney recruitment policy been put aside, and they are paying for it? Sydney's depth has suffered due to losing players (everitt, mumford, lamb etc) and with no tippet, buddy will get triple teams weekly.

roger
      syd
      March 17, 2014, 8:54AM
      • Hi Roger, Certainly a change in strategy, but bit early for mine to be predicting doom and gloom on the Franklin front, he wasn't great on the weekend but had a few mates.

Rohan Connolly
        March 17, 2014, 12:11PM
    • Hi Rohan,

Good to have you back on a Monday! On a scale of 1-10, how worried should I be as a Richmond fan about Saturday night's result?

Alex
      March 17, 2014, 9:17AM
      • Hi Alex, Thank you, and I'd say about a 3. They weren't shocking, and plenty of teams will lose to the Suns at Metricon this season. Carlton this week will be a good litmus test, though.

Rohan Connolly
        March 17, 2014, 12:12PM
    • It is used to be common for a bottom side to defeat a top side in the first few weeks of a new season. Do you think there has been an over reaction to the Swans loss to GWS? Could this be the loss the Swans need to help to fire them up and help them re-focus on the season ahead? One would also think that Buddy will be better when Tippett is back in the side. What are your thoughts?

Dan