Live AFL blog with Rohan Connolly

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Murphy makes his mark

No one has "put their hand up higher" than Carlton captain Marc Murphy to "lead the troubled club out of deep waters", Rohan Connolly reports.

PT0M0S 620 349

Will have to wrap it up there today, folks, apologies to those couldn't get around to answering. Thanks for the comments and questions. This is turning into an intriguing season, and perhaps in Port Adelaide we have a new contender for higher honours still! Enjoy your week, and we'll catch you back here next Monday at 12pm.

Discuss the footy issues that matter to you with The Age's voice of the people, Rohan Connolly.

Leave a comment now and return at midday to join the conversation.

Topics you may like to discuss:

• Rohan, two things stand out at me from the weekend:

1. A lead of 4-5 goals is now seemingly little more than a minor incovenience. Indeed, in some cases it seems to be a disadvantage to get out to a 4-5 goal lead as it seems to mean you've gone too hard too soon and you will invariably be overrun. I think this new paradigm actually makes games more entertaining.

2. The standard of goalkicking is the worst I've seen in years. Set shots from 30 metres out, on the slightest of angles or even directly in front, routinely being missed or shots on the run, under little or no pressure either being missed or 'dribbled' through and, yes, missing again. I think you can reasonably argue that St Kilda, Eagles and the Bulldogs all lost due to their missing easy (very easy) goals late in games. With all of the attention paid to other aspects of the game - fitness, conditioning, strength, etc - it seems remarkable so little attention is seemingly being paid to what is arguably the most important skill of all, kicking an actual goal.

janeygotagun
    April 28, 2014, 10:47AM
    • Hi Janey, 1. Happened quite a bit on the weekend, momentum is all these days, and lot results come down to ability or otherwise to capitalise on it, and those sides who can defuse an opposition side's roll better than others. Agreed that it's good to watch, more uncertainty is good! 2. Not sure it's worse, but certainly doesn't seem to have got much better. On-going debate this one, lot of former key forwards I've spoken to lament the power of the sports science blokes now preventing players from kicking too much! Seems crazy, but true.

Rohan Connolly
      April 28, 2014, 12:14PM
  • Rohan, Port were fantastic last night, a great game to be at. Geelong were a bit off I thought and missed some easy chances to put on a lot of pressure early. Having beaten arguably the best team in the League alongside the Hawks, Port must now cope with the spotlight and the expectation of a top 4 finish. Almost everyone expected them to drop away this year, but it's obvious that they are a quality side extremely well coached. How do you expect them to cope with the pressure in weeks to come? Do you see them matching the Hawks?

Tovo
    Port Adelaide
    April 28, 2014, 11:13AM
    • Hi Tovo, Obviously Hawthorn's another huge test but Ken Hinkley seems to have instilled a terrific work ethic in this side, they perform the roles they have to week in, week out regardless of opposition. And they showed even in last year's finals that the big occasions don't overwhelm them. I really like their blend of youth and experience, too, the old blokes all still pulling their weight and the younger guys looking terrific. Would still be backing the Hawks, but Port are coming quickly.

Rohan Connolly
      April 28, 2014, 12:19PM
    • Tovo - I am a Hawks fan and I can definitely see you guys matching us, if not beating us. The Geelong win was no fluke - you have been building strongly for a season and a half now. I am certainly dreading the Hawkers travelling to a packed Adelaide Oval and playing you there with all the home support. Port is destined for the top 4.

Admiral Percy Fitzwallace
      April 28, 2014, 12:20PM
  • As a Port supporter I was expecting Victorians to FINALLY acknowledge that Port are a very good football side against allcomers. BUT NO.......wed hear that Geelong had a tough game against Hawthorn just 6 days ago and were flat.
    Less than 6 days ago I heard the experts telling us that teams travelling to Perth lose the next week. Yes Port had an 8 day break, but I would suggest that the West Coast game was played throughout under finals pressure.
    Time to acknowledge Port as a genuine premiership chance .......NO excuses for teams they beat along the way.

Greg
    April 28, 2014, 11:34AM
    • Hi Greg, Funny, everything I've read and heard today has offered nothing but the highest of praise for what they've done. Of course they have to now be considered a genuine flag chance, they're on top of the ladder!

Rohan Connolly
      April 28, 2014, 12:22PM
    • You are right. Nothing but praise for Port has been spoken. As an Ex Victorian living in WA. I often see little respect given to Victorian teams, more often excuses. SA can be the same. My point all States at times show bias be it supporter or newspapers. I do believe both the Victorian papers reporters do well at giving balanced quality reporting on all clubs, Victorian and interstate.

AFL lover
      April 28, 2014, 12:54PM
  • Hi Rohan. You're a star. Who's the first to 100 games for Carlton- Menzel, Buckley or Graham?

Ali
    Richmond
    April 28, 2014, 11:39AM
    • Hi Ali, Very good question. I can't understand why Graham hasn't played more, liked him from his very first intra-club games last year. At a pinch, I'd say Menzel given his head start, while midfield duties week in, week out may take more of a physical toll on Buckley, but really good to see Carlton come up with some genuine young talent as a group for the first time in a while.

Rohan Connolly