Live AFL blog with Rohan Connolly

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Blues all talk and no action

Now is the time for Carlton to stop talking about rebuilding and actually do it, says senior AFL writer Rohan Connolly.

PT0M0S 620 349

Discuss the footy issues that matter to you with The Age's voice of the people, Rohan Connolly.

Leave a comment now and return at midday to join the conversation.

Topics you may like to discuss:

Marc Murphy leads the Carlton team off after a loss to the Lions on Saturday.

Marc Murphy leads the Carlton team off after a loss to the Lions on Saturday. Photo: Getty Images

• The situation at Carlton
  • The current schedule and timing of AFL games
  • The Tigers' stark start to the season
  • The Dees' competitive performance on Saturday

• Rohan - is the 8 almost set and, if not, who is the most vulnerable, perhaps the Suns?

Detonator
    June 02, 2014, 11:14AM
    • Hi Detonator, Reckon it's hard to see it changing by more than one, and both Freo and North (7th and 8th) have pretty decent runs home. I think given fact Suns play Sydney, WC (away), Geelong, Hawthorn and Collingwood over next five weeks, they probably look the most vulnerable at this stage.

Rohan Connolly
      June 02, 2014, 12:19PM
    • more importantly, who would have the ability to come in?

matty
      melb
      June 02, 2014, 12:29PM
  • Rohan, two observations if I may:

1) While the Suns weren't thrashed, it did expose some of their weaknesses, namely, lack of defensive options and forward pressure. On this latter, it would seem a role tailor made for Karmichael Hunt, who is by all accounts playing well in reserves, but it also seems like he is not being picked because they expect him to move on next year. I'm thinking in an ideal world, he (and Bock) would need to come into the side against the Swans this week

2) My entirely subjective opinion is that, having watched an awful lot of football on the weekend, the standard of commentary is on a steep decline. Dennis Commetti remains gold standard, the banter between Richo and Brian Taylor is fun, Cameron Ling is insightful but a lot of the rest leave a lot to be desired. Yesterday's "four-matches-in-a-row-across-the-country" line up really stretched the commentary way too thinly, I thought

janeygotagun
    June 02, 2014, 11:20AM
    • Hi Janey, Good point on Hunt. Heard his last couple in NEAFL were quite good, and you do wonder the extent any doubts about his future are clouding his selection. Re commentary, guess we all have our favourites or not-so-favourites. I'm OK with most, though there's one or two former players who don't necessarily add a lot of insight in my view, and others who seem to go out of their way to over-complicate the game rather than make it more simple for the viewer, which surely is their function.

Rohan Connolly
      June 02, 2014, 12:23PM
  • Rohan

Love your work. Worried about the Dogs. A+ for effort, D for execution. Only 15000 there and looking like another small crowd coming up on Saturday against Brisbane. Desperate to get a couple of wins and prove to the faithful that Macca's message is working.
    Would not be unhappy to see Macca lose his cool and maybe tell some home truths to a few underperformers either.

AJ
    June 02, 2014, 11:30AM
    • Hi AJ, Can understand why the patience of some supporters is wearing thin. Suspect the sort of game style they play doesn't set the pulse racing, either. Lack of profile has probably helped them avoid the blowtorch a bit I reckon, but that might not be such a good thing at the moment.

Rohan Connolly
      June 02, 2014, 12:25PM
  • Hi Rohan
    I couldn't help but notice how you tipped against Sydney in the Geelong match and also against them in their games against Hawthorn and Freemantle. Given they've now beaten all the top 3 from last year will you be tipping them against Port? While I really like Geelong and they are my 2nd favourite team after Sydney, I don't think they are quite the same as they once were. It's amazing how long they've managed to stay on top - would you agree that Sydney has equally managed so many finals in ten years due to a similar list management and redeveloping other teams' players (Kennedy, Mumford etc)? Not sure if this last one is a question?

Riders of Rohan
    Middle Earth
    June 02, 2014, 11:34AM
    • Hi Riders, Swans' list management has been superb, no question, and records show for consistency they're right up with the Cats. My Geelong tip was an ill-time hunch, I'm afraid, and I also had to tip before teams came out. Reckon if I'd known Lonergan and Enright were going to miss, I would have tipped Sydney. Port game should be a ripper, right now, given it's at home, would probably tip Swans.

Rohan Connolly
      June 02, 2014, 12:33PM
    • You do realise that who Rohan tips (or anyone else for that matter) has no impact on the game?

Stephen