Live AFL blog with Rohan Connolly, noon

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Video will begin in 5 seconds.

Video settings

Please Log in to update your video settings

Big three heading the wrong way?

The three powerhouse clubs of Essendon, Carlton and Richmond all appear to be heading in the wrong direction after showing some good signs in 2013, Rohan Connolly reports.

PT0M0S 620 349

That's it for today, thanks for all the questions and comments, good to see the Hawks and Swans fans still jousting, too! Not much break between rounds this week, less than 72 hours in fact, will grab a breather when I can! See you back here at 12pm next Monday.

Discuss the footy issues that matter to you with The Age's voice of the people, Rohan Connolly.

Essendon v Carlton. David Zaharakis battles against Ed Curnow.

Essendon v Carlton. David Zaharakis battles against Ed Curnow. Photo: Pat Scala

Leave a comment now and return at midday to join the conversation.

Topics you may like to discuss:

• Will Richmond, Essendon or Carlton make the finals?
  • Do defenders 'cheat' when claiming they have touched the ball near goals?
  • What do you make of the rash of bump incidents this weekend, days after the Viney verdict?
  • Should Port Adelaide by flag favourites?
  • Are Sydney becoming the powerhouse expected at the beginning of the season?

• I agree that young Libba is a better player than his Dad - I expect Tony would be delighted with that suggestion and he was a fantastic player himself.

How about Jobe and Tim? I also think the son has exceeded the father in this case - he is an excellent midfielder that rarely gets injured and rarely has a poor game. He is a match winner and a terrific leader just when the team/club needs him to be. Impressive young man.

Gazza? That's been done to death.

MApB
    May 12, 2014, 9:28AM
    • Hi MApB, Have to confess I'm pretty torn on the Watson question, Tim was my hero as a kid. He also won four best and fairests. I'd still have him ahead of Jobe on points. I'd argue he was more explosive and better on the outside, but there's no question Jobe is a better contested ball-winner and with his hands than Tim was.

Rohan Connolly
      May 12, 2014, 12:09PM
    • Wes Fellows was better than his dad too.

kcabotkcab
      melbourne
      May 12, 2014, 1:03PM
    • How can anyone say young Libba is better than his father. His father won the top medal in under 19s, reserves and seniors. Something never done before. That is a mighty effort in my book

Go Blues
      May 12, 2014, 1:04PM
    • Got to admire Jobe, had the pressures of being, Tims son, struggled early, nearly got Delisted and worked his butt of to stay at Essendon, now Captain and a Brownlow winner. Tim in my view was more naturally gifted but Jobe through sheer work ethics and desire has improved and in my view is now better than his father.

Go Blues
      May 12, 2014, 1:08PM
  • hi Rohan
    the swans are starting to look very dangerous and if both tippett and franklin stay on the park they will be very hard to stop especially with the midfield getting back into form.

matthew
    georges hall
    May 12, 2014, 10:19AM
    • Hi Matthew, Indeed. Was a pretty impressive debut together by the "twin towers", and as you say, the midfield has really got its A game back. They're coming.

Rohan Connolly
      May 12, 2014, 12:12PM
    • Really? they could barely beat an injury ravaged Hawthorn...

uygr
      May 12, 2014, 12:16PM
    • Uygr. Had Franklin kicked Straight, the game would have been over by 1/4 time. Take of the rise coloured glasses. Swans were an 8 Goal better side. Clarkson admitted Swans fail to convert kept them in it. Franklin probably felt the pressure of playing his old team and his hocking suffered. Same thing happened with Daisy other week

Go Blues
      May 12, 2014, 1:12PM
  • Any help on how I can rectify my footy tipping Blues?
    (see what I did there?)

Also, what is your gut feel about what will happen to Essendon?

Christos