Live AFL blog with Rohan Connolly, noon Monday

Suffering on and off the field: the Bombers trudge off after succumbing to Melbourne. Photo: Pat Scala

That's it for today. Thanks for all the questions and comments, another big couple of games looming this week with Hawthorn v Collingwood and Essendon v Adelaide. Battle for the top eight is really warming up now.

Discuss the footy issues that matter to you with The Age's voice of the people, Rohan Connolly.

Leave a comment now and return at midday, Monday, to join the conversation.

Topics you may like to discuss:

• The plight of Essendon
  • The continuing form slump at St Kilda
  • Buddy's beaut form
  • The up and down Kangaroos
  • Melbourne's revival under Paul Roos
  • Carlton's battle to modernise
  • Hayden Ballantyne, elite small forward

• Rohan - I'm disappointed to read Big Nick's recommendation that the Blues give up their cocky style and be a bit more humble. I think he's onto something. They might just listen and that would put them back in the game (in a couple of years). Not happy to see the Blues competitive at any time.

MApB
    June 16, 2014, 9:37AM
    • Hi MApB, Funnily enough, I actually reckon in a lot of ways they gave up that facade a long time ago, probably around the time they were hit with salary cap penalties. Problem is perceptions linger far longer than reality.

Rohan Connolly
      June 16, 2014, 12:05PM
  • Are you able to provide any reason why Collingwood is forced to play home games at another team's home ground?
    I understand that sometimes we get away games at the MCG but this is always for capacity reasons (Docklands and Kardinia Park being too small - the same reason Collingwood lost lots of home games when we played at Victoria Park). No such argument could be made for yesterday's game.
    I also understand that we need to play some games at Docklands so we're not playing 17 games at the G. However we're playing against (I think) West Coast, Adelaide, Port, and Brisbane at the G. Why couldn't one (or even two or three) of these have been at the Docklands instead of playing a Docklands tenant there when it's our home game?
    Or alternatively, why couldn't this have been a Bulldgos home game? There were very few Doggies supporters there to watch them finally play some good footy yesterday (I think I saw more Red White and Blue at the Rugby on Saturday night). If it had been their home game there would have been a lot more which would have been good for their club too.
    So, why?

Zoibil
    Melbn
    June 16, 2014, 9:42AM
    • Hi Zoibil, Fair points, I presume the "too many games at the G" line is the main reason. Also, when nine local clubs are sharing two home grounds, pretty hard to avoid. And I presume the sceptics would argue that being more unfamiliar with Etihad is a fair enough trade-off for getting so many games at their preferred venue.

Rohan Connolly
      June 16, 2014, 12:10PM
  • Can we stop bashing Carlton now? The emergence and slowly but surely improvement of faces like Rowe, Casboult, Menzel, Buckley and smart pickups of Everitt, Docherty and, YES, Thomas have indicated to me that Carlton DOES have a plan. Granted it's been a slow start to the season and they've thrown away some winnable games. But the competitiveness against Geelong and Hawthorn was fantastic the last two weeks. To crack the top 4 they'll CERTAINLY need some polish and a perfect pre-season. But bottom 6 material? Turn it up! It's been a season of roads to recovery and now that match fitness is balancing out, it's far from doom and gloom - long-term I mean. Thoughts?

Really?
    June 16, 2014, 9:44AM
    • Hi Really, Every club seen to be under-performing comes under scrutiny, think calling it "bashing" is a bit melodramatic. For what it's worth, I don't see them as a bottom six side, and I think their last couple of games have been pretty impressive, too. Was particularly pleased to see Nick Graham get a game on Friday, albeit as a late inclusion. Think he should have played a lot more games than he has to date.

Rohan Connolly
      June 16, 2014, 12:13PM
  • Hi Rohan considering you always tip against Sydney whenever they have a big game opponent (Freemantle, Hawthorn, Geelong, and now Port Adelaide) can I please beg of you - can you also tip against them in round 18 when they play Hawthorn at MCG? I think you might be our good luck talisman. On a less smug note - that was a terrific game, Port were right up there and could have snatched a victory for sure. What was your overall analysis of that game in terms of where the two sides are? I thought Port's midfield as good as ours in many ways, and have just as good a spread of goalkickers. A GF between those two will be very close.

Swannington
    June 16, 2014, 9:55AM
    • Hi Swannington, Sure, happy to oblige! Yes, was a terrific game, and I agree, I reckon the midfields are line-ball. You'd have to give the Swans the points as far as key forwards go, but think Port might have a little more variety in their attack. Very hard to split them, and not only would a GF between them be close, it would be bloody entertaining!

Rohan Connolly
      June 16, 2014, 12:16PM
  • Essendon is ruining the game. We're all tired of their prevarication and their incoherent parrots repeating the same old illogical and inconsistent nonsense. Little said one thing right, enough is enough. Unfortunately it was right last year, all they've done since is make it worse.

If there are any sane Essendon people left, isn't it time they spoke out to bring the debate back to rational ground?

Nick
    June 16, 2014, 10:11AM
    • Hi Nick, The sort of rational ground you've just occupied? :)

Rohan Connolly