Lance Franklin of the Hawks. Photo: Quinn Rooney
Greater Western Sydney has moved on from losing Lance Franklin to the Swans' ''silly'' offer by landing its ''No.1 priority'', Swans premiership ruckman Shane Mumford. But not without firing several broadsides at Sydney's ''absurd'' coup.
Giants chief executive David Matthews admitted the Sydney cost-of-living allowance was in jeopardy because of the Swans' audacious $10 million, nine-year bid for Hawthorn star Franklin.
GWS announced it had signed Mumford on a three-year deal and now just has to facilitate a trade to bring him out west. It could also land him through the draft.
Greater Western Sydney has come to terms with Swans premiership ruckman Shane Mumford. Photo: Anthony Johnson
It was the second trade shock in 24 hours. Everyone thought Franklin was going to the Giants until the Swans swooped, while Mumford was linked with the Hawks.
Matthews said they always had 27-year-old Mumford in their sights, following Dean Brogan's retirement at the end of the season.
''We moved on pretty quickly yesterday because it's a silly offer [for Franklin], nine years, and when you realise the content of the offer you realise you were never in it because you wouldn't contemplate that yourself,'' he told Fairfax Media on Wednesday.
''You're only ever disappointed if you think, 'Is there anything you'd do differently?'
''We always had Mumford in our sights, we've been working on that for a little while and were really delighted he committed today. He's exactly what a young midfield needs … Mumford was a major step.
''Our No.1 playing priority was to get a ruckman in, so Franklin looked like he was at the front of the queue because he's a free agent.''
Matthews held no grudges against Franklin, saying the two-time Hawthorn premiership player would have been ''irresponsible'' not to accept the Swans' massive offer.
The Franklin deal might still not go ahead after the AFL said it would launch an investigation into it, plus Hawthorn could still match Sydney's offer.
It will also look into the future of the highly contentious cost of living allowance, which gives both Sydney teams an extra 10 per cent on top of the salary cap.
While it's meant to be used to counter the higher rent in the harbour city, the Swans have allegedly used it to land Kurt Tippett last year and now Franklin.
Matthews was hopeful the Giants would keep it, even if it was taken off the Swans.
''I think it's in jeopardy, I think there's going to be an issue there,'' he said.
''The AFL was already on the record saying they would have a close look at it and this just brings further scrutiny.''
''It's a shame because we think there's a valid difference, but I can also understand if the AFL thinks it's producing unintended consequences then they've got to look at it. In the end we're trying to run this [competition] for 18 clubs, not one.''
Matthews was adamant the No.1 draft pick, which many expect will be used on gun forward Tom Boyd, was still up for trade despite the Giants missing out on Franklin.
The GWS boss pointed to All Australian full-forward Jeremy Cameron and Jonathon Patton as reasons they were still willing to trade the prized pick.
He said the Giants would continue to look at other options, such as Collingwood's Heath Shaw and Geelong's Paul Chapman, to further bolster their young side.
''It's still on the table, we've still got to work through what's potentially on offer for us,'' Matthews said.
''We haven't changed our thinking markedly over anything that's happened this week.
''We were prepared for the fact we might miss Franklin, I guess we were surprised in the manner in which we missed him.
''The manner we missed him I think was absurd.''
While he admitted signing Franklin would have led to a ''short-term impetus'' for the Giants' profile, Matthews said developing a winning team was the ''overriding objective'' that would lead to long-term success.