Treat us 'fairly and properly' with tanking probe: Demons
Melbourne has sought an assurance from the AFL that they will be afforded natural justice in the league's tanking investigation as damaging allegations continue to emerge.
AFL investigators, examining claims that the Demons deliberately lost matches late in 2009, have reportedly been told that football department staff were threatened with the sack.
The threat was allegedly made by then-football operations manager Chris Connolly at a secret meeting used to reinforce the importance of losing enough matches to gain a priority draft pick.
Demons president Don McLardy referred to Fairfax Media reports of the investigation in a statement on the club's website on Friday in which he called for the club to be treated fairly by the AFL.
"As you know from recent media, the AFL is currently investigating certain aspects of MFC's on-field performance in the 2009 season," McLardy said in the statement.
"The board of the MFC is concerned to ensure that the MFC is treated fairly and properly.
"The board will fully cooperate with an independent, lawful and transparent process.
"The board has sought an assurance from the AFL that natural justice will be afforded to the MFC, its players, employees and staff through the investigation."
McLardy also said the Demons were working to ensure the investigation did not have a major impact on their current football staff and players.
"Every effort will be made to ensure they can continue to focus on the upcoming season," he said.
Connolly remains at Melbourne but has since shifted to a marketing role as general manager of club development, while Josh Mahoney, who joined the club as an assistant coach in 2008, was last year made football operations manager.