Dennis Cometti has confirmed he will retire at the end of this AFL season.
Dennis Cometti commentary gems
A jewel in any footy commentary team, veteran commentator Dennis Cometti's acerbic, quick wit will be heard for just one more season.
The 66-year-old has been a chief caller since he joined the Seven Network in 1986, including a five-year stint with the Nine Network when they acquired the rights between 2002 and 2006.
Here are some of the much loved commentator's best one-liners from his long career.
1. "It's like finding fault with Miss Venezuela."
Cometti had high praise for Crows midfielder Rory Sloane.
2. "There's a Blair in there."
When Collingwood's Jarryd Blair got caught in the middle of a pack.
3. "That's on YouTube, like it or not Paul Bower."
The Carlton defender had an embarrassing distracted moment when he should have been on the mark against Travis Cloke. The moment is, indeed, on Youtube.
Paul Bower tries to foil Travis Cloke. Photo: Vince Caligiuri
4. "Barlow to Bateman. The Hawks are attacking alphabetically ..."
Quick thinking from Cometti while calling a play between Hawthorn's Kris Barlow and Chance Bateman.
5. "Centimetre perfect."
A Cometti favourite; many have tried to replicate the famous phrase, but none do it with Cometti's flair.
6. "Ling's running off the ground a little bit gingerly."
Former Geelong star Cameron Ling's got red hair and the jokes never get old.
7. "He entered the pack optimistically and emerged misty optically."
A famous word-play said to be inspired by the Bulldogs' Tony Liberatore.
Tony Liberatore was always in the thick of it. Photo: Vince Caligiuri
8. "Scotty Cummings alone in the square, jumping up and down and waving his arms like they're playing My Sharona."
How is that for imagery?
9. "So what was the explanation, and why wasn't it a mark? NFI."
Cometti is down with the lingo, and he really has no ... idea why Collingwood's Nick Maxwell was not paid a mark that time against Essendon.
10. "Rocca, like my wife driving, needs a fair bit of lane."
On former Collingwood and Sydney star Anthony Rocca and his need for some room.
Have your say: What's your favourite Dennis Cometti line?