No evidence of hacking in Aust: Conroy
Federal Communications Minister Stephen Conroy says a damning report into the News of the World phone-hacking scandal in the UK isn't relevant to the Australian media.
"This report relates to specific allegations confined to the United Kingdom," Senator Conroy said in a statement on Wednesday.
"There is no evidence of any behaviour of this type in Australia."
A committee of British MPs has declared media mogul Rupert Murdoch "not a fit person" to run a major international corporation.
In its report into the phone-hacking scandal released overnight the parliamentary Culture, Media and Sport Committee accused the News Corp chief of exhibiting "wilful blindness" towards wrongdoing in his organisation.
It said News Corp had been guilty of "huge failings of corporate governance" and that throughout its instinct had been "to cover up rather than seek out wrongdoing and discipline the perpetrators".
But in a statement News Corp condemned the report as "unjustified and highly partisan".
The highly-contentious investigation into the News of the World scandal split the committee on party lines.
While members agreed unanimously that Mr Murdoch's media empire had misled their inquiry in a "blatant fashion", Tory MPs refused to support the report after Labour and the sole Liberal Democrat pushed through the criticism of Mr Murdoch by a vote of six to four.
Brought to you by