AAP

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley met with disgruntled defender Harry O'Brien to sort out their differences with the player expected back at training on Tuesday.

O'Brien had a disagreement with Buckley at a team meeting last week and spent the weekend in Port Douglas.

The club gave him permission for the break, saying an ankle injury had ruled him out of their match against Carlton.

O'Brien missed training on Monday but the pair had sorted out the issue, according to the Magpies Football and Coaching Strategist Rodney Eade.

He told Fox Sports show AFL 360 that he understood the matter had been sorted out on Monday afternoon.

"It's sorted out and Harry will be there tomorrow," said Eade.

"It's great for everyone because he's a quality player so it's good for everyone he will be back."

Eade said Buckley had handled any conflicts and issues at the club extremely well since taking over from Mick Malthouse as coach last season.

"He's a very strong individual, very team orientated - the club is first, second and third and he's held up very well.

"Everyone knows what direction we're going and I've got every confidence that everyone's on board."

Earlier, Collingwood president Eddie McGuire defended O'Brien, saying he wasn't a destabilising influence at the club.

O'Brien has been vocal on a range of social issues and had a run-in with his president over his now-infamous King Kong radio gaffe.

McGuire said he would be given as much time as he needed.

"You don't put ultimatums to anybody," McGuire told Melbourne radio station Triple M.

"Everybody has had a couple of days break to just chill out and have a bit of a think about things, and you come back together.

"These are people who genuinely like each other, respect each other, work together (and) have got a common goal."