Royal couple heading to Australia
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have left Papua New Guinea for Australia as they continue their 13-day tour of the southern hemisphere.
As their last official act in the PNG capital, Prince Charles and his wife Camilla laid a wreath at the Ela Beach War Memorial, before chatting with diggers who took part in the Kokoda campaign in World War II.
From there they were whisked off to Port Moresby airport and boarded a Royal Australian Air Force jet bound for Longreach in outback Queensland.
Before trading the notoriously humid PNG heat for Longreach's dry 39-degree swelter, the royal couple kept to a frantic schedule during their three-day visit to Port Moresby.
On Sunday the prince and duchess were treated to a display of some of PNG's 850 cultures at Sir John Guise Stadium, before visiting Boera village on the city's outskirts.
They also attended a state dinner in their honour on Sunday night after visiting an orchid garden, while on Monday Charles toured a youth centre.
Earlier on Monday, Camilla met with World War II Kokoda campaign diggers and visited a women's refuge.
"I wish I could take you with me," she joked during the meeting with diggers at a local hotel.
"It's wonderful to be here - I feel I ought to be here because my father was a war veteran.
"He would have liked to have seen me here today with all of you."
The diggers are in PNG to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Kokoda and beachheads campaigns.
"We're so pleased she made the decision to spend 10 minutes with us," said Bill Stuart, 92, after the duchess left. "She's lovely."
Ray Baldwin, 91, said the meeting was an unexpected privilege.
"I had heard she was an easy lady to talk to," he said. "I was completely impressed by her attitude."
At Ruth House, a women's refuge, Camilla met staff and victims of domestic violence.
Staff at the centre, which provides spiritual and professional counselling for about 300 to 400 women and children a year, hoped the visit would help to bring much-needed support for their work.
"It's a blessing," said centre manager Monica Richards. "We count it as a blessing because for us it will open the eyes of the government.
"A lot of victims are directed to us for safekeeping, yet we get no assistance from the government.
"It's an opportunity for the government to see there are organisations, not only Ruth House - there are other groups - who need funding."
Prince Charles is expected to celebrate his 64th birthday on November 14 in Wellington before the couple leave New Zealand to return to England.
Brought to you by