Qantas back-office staff will know by June 30 whether the airline will be forced to pursue compulsory redundancies from their ranks as part of a $2 billion cost-cutting program.
The airline expects most managers and executives who are departing in the latest cull to leave the company by the end of this month. They include 26 senior managers from across the airline group's premium domestic and international operations, and budget offshoot Jetstar.
In a message to staff before Easter, Qantas' human resources chief, Jon Scriven, said the airline would consider ''mitigation strategies like job swaps'' for non-executive support roles once each area of the business completed a ''detailed reassessment and review''.
''As a last resort, we will then look at compulsory redundancies. We hope to have this final stage resolved by the end of June this year,'' he said in the email to staff.
''As you can imagine, this is a complex process as we're ensuring we make the right decisions about our structure while also consulting appropriately with employee and union groups.''
Qantas has accepted nearly 80 per cent of the applications for voluntary redundancies from support staff.
Australia's largest airline said in February it would axe 5000 jobs and cancel orders for planes as part of stripping out $2 billion in costs over the next three years.
The job cuts include 1500 from mostly back-office roles and management.
The cost to Qantas of redundancy payments over the next 18 months has been estimated at $500 million.
In an update on what he has described as the ''great capacity face-off'', Macquarie Equities analyst Sam Dobson said one of the major changes in the domestic market had been planned additional Jetstar flights on Sydney and Melbourne routes in the June quarter.
''In addition, Jetstar seat growth in the September quarter has grown, which is presumably on the back of Qantas looking to maintain share in the domestic market, with the new Jetstar capacity a response to the additional Tiger capacity growth,'' he said in a note to clients.
Mr Dobson said the other change had been a reduction in scheduled capacity mostly by Qantas and Jetstar into and out of Perth, which reflected a ''more rational response to a slowing in resource-driven demand''.
The broker believes the market is ''too bearish'' on earnings expectations for Qantas' next financial year because the latest data suggests yields - or return on fares - will improve over the coming months.
Some analysts say Qantas will post an underlying loss of about $800 million this financial year amid stiff competition in the domestic market and on international routes.