The wait is over for university offers
Our Year 12 club give their reactions to the first round of uni offers.PT1M32S http://www.canberratimes.com.au/action/externalEmbeddedPlayer?id=d-2cvjg 620 349 January 17, 2013
The wait is over for thousands of young people who find out this afternoon if they have been accepted into university or TAFE.
The Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre has released 57,880 first-round offers today.
Compared with last year, the number of domestic applicants fell 2.9 per cent to 76,530.
But the percentage of university applicants who received offers from universities rose from 72 per cent in 2009 to 80 per cent in 2013.
VTAC management commission chairman Ian Marshman said Victorian universities had also increased offers to applicants by 10,500 in the past four years.
For students who missed out there will be another chance. Second-round offers will be released on February 6.
Australian Catholic University and Monash University had the biggest increases in first preferences, with rises of 17.6 per cent and 4.9 per cent respectively. Monash accounted for more than a fifth of total first preferences overall.
Student demand for education courses has increased by about 21 per cent since 2009. This year there were 124 more applications for education courses compared with 2012.
Higher Education and Skills Minister Peter Hall said the offers showed there would be more professionals entering the agriculture, science and education fields in coming years.
"These future farmers, teachers, scientists and innovators will play a vital role in strengthening our community and driving our economic prosperity," he said.
But health-related studies remain the most popular choice for students overall attracting 24.2 per cent of all applications.
Today's figures do not include offers made to applicants who applied directly to the universities and TAFEs rather than through VTAC.