A line of USB chargers sold at Officeworks stores have been recalled after an incident in which the casing around a charger melted after overheating.
The incident, in which no one was injured, occured in Victoria and the device involved was one of 3400 sold nationally.
Approximately 1050 of these were sold in NSW.
NSW Fair Trading Minister Matthew Mason-Cox said the recall has been undertaken voluntarily by Officeworks, who is liaising with Energy Safe Victoria.
“Consumers who have purchased these devices are urged to stop using them immediately and return the goods to Officeworks for a full refund," he said, adding that consumers who are unsure should contact Officeworks.
The recall comes after the tragic death of a woman using an unapproved charging device in April.
Mrs Sheryl Aldeguer was found dead at her home on the NSW central coast with burns to her chest and ears, after she was electrocuted by a faulty USB phone charger purchased in the NSW suburb of Campsie.
Mrs Aldeguer's death triggered targeted inspections at shops and markets across the state.
A total of 17 penalty infringement notice fines were issued as a result.
Mr Mason-Cox said the device responsible for Mrs Aldeguer's death in April was not the same model as the device recalled by Officeworks.
"This warning is doing the right thing by consumers and making safety a priority," he said.
The affected USB chargers were sold in Officeworks stores and online between 19 July 2013 and 2 August 2014.
The product model number is MS10071223.
A spokesperson for Officeworks said the safety of Officeworks’ products is an "absolute priority".
"As such, we have voluntarily elected to recall one line of USB wall chargers (model MS10071223). We are currently conducting further testing, however on a precautionary basis we recommend customers return the model in question to their local stores for a full refund. Customer with any concerns can contact 1300 OFFICE (633 423)," she said.