Calls waiting: Some Telstra customers around Kensington may have to wait until Friday to use their internet or phone services.
Hundreds of residents in south-eastern Sydney have been without telephone or internet since Saturday after a Telstra copper cable was cut.
Resident James Koolis, of Doncaster Avenue in Kensington, said the disruption began on Saturday night. He was told by Telstra at the time that the issue would be fixed by 7pm on Sunday.
But Mr Koolis said he was then told the deadline for a fix had been moved to Tuesday, and subsequently to Friday.
He said requests for credit had been "baulked at" by Telstra and some residents had "been abused by phone staff" when asking about the matter.
"They will not tell us what the problem is, nor commit to a repair time," Mr Koolis said, adding: "This area has many old residents living alone who can't use a mobile."
In a statement to Fairfax Media, Telstra confirmed a copper cable had been cut on Cottenham Avenue at 3pm on Saturday and that Telstra crews were on site repairing the cable.
Telstra hadn't been able to identify how the copper cable servicing residents was cut, but believed it was related to civil works.
"The cable is fairly large – 600 pairs – and the cut is affecting the landline and ADSL services of 347 customers in the area," Telstra said.
The repairs involved replacing an 80 metre length of cable down Cottenham Avenue and jointing both ends.
Telstra said repair work began early on Wednesday and was expected to be finished by Friday afternoon.
"We apologise to our customers for this inconvenience and reassure them we are working to restore services as soon as possible given the extent of work required," the company said.
"In situations like this, we work with customers on a case by case basis to provide interim services and discuss credit options as per our usual processes.
"A number of affected customers have already been in touch with Telstra since the cable cut and we encourage others to do the same."
This reporter is on Facebook: /bengrubb