New trailer for Grand Theft Auto V

Zoom in on this story. Explore all there is to know.

The new GTA V trailer give insight into the u;coming game's three playable protagonists.

After months of near-silence, Rockstar has released a new Grand Theft Auto V trailer, and it's packed with the kind of details that are guaranteed to get long-term fans excited.

We don't normally cover game trailers here on Screen Play, but GTA is a special case. Love it or hate it, every new GTA release is a major event, and when notoriously tight-lipped Rockstar finally releases a pile of new game information in the form of a new trailer, people take notice. The new trailer has coincided with a suite of interviews and previews in Game Informer magazine.

The first thing I took note of in the trailer was the humour. While GTA IV had its share of laughs, it was criticised by many for being too grim and bleak. Niko was just too serious for many fans of the series, and his tale of loss and redemption was regarded as too heavy-handed. The good news is that this new trailer is laugh-out-loud funny, and seems to have a lighter touch.

We finally get our first really good look at GTA V's three playable characters. Inspired by the success of the interconnecting stories in GTA IV and its two DLC episodes, Rockstar decided to build that feature right into the base game, with their stories interconnecting, and the three of them sometimes going on missions together.

The trailer gives us peeks at these three men. Michael is an aging former bank robber, dissatisfied with his life, and finally running out of money. His old friend Trevor never left the life of crime, and is a violent drug-addicted career criminal, running drugs and guns. Franklin is a young, ambitious black man, who gets involved with Michael and Trevor in an effort to improve his position.

I was hoping that we might finally get a playable female character in a GTA game, but it's not happening this time.

We also get a look at the gigantic world of Los Santos. Rockstar has said that the game area is bigger than Red Dead Redemption, GTA: San Andreas, and GTA IV combined, and a wide variety of terrain is visible in the trailer - LA-like urban areas, lush suburbs, arid highways, and scorched deserts. Those who complained about GTA IV's lack of planes will be pleased to see a fighter jet make an appearance.

The game also looks stunning. I always felt that GTA IV looked somewhat primitive, with characters and animation that were never quite as good as the quality of the scripts and voice acting. The new world isn't just huge, but also looks great, and promises to be the most realist-looking GTA setting.

Apart from these revelations, the trailer is packed with the expected gunfights, chases, crime, sportscars, brawls, and explosions. You can watch the trailer below, or if that doesn't work in your browser you can watch it on the Rockstar site here.

- James "DexX" Dominguez

twitter DexX is on Twitter: @jamesjdominguez

• I'm avoiding all the hype. I got burned by GTA IV hype and so I'll wait a while after the game is released before purchasing.

Joka
    November 16, 2012, 8:08AM
    • Personally I would have thought the release of Black Ops this week would have been a bigger event and more worth a mention, but hey I guess this is the reason why this blog has gone downhill since it changed hands.

Cobalt
      Home
      November 16, 2012, 8:16AM
      • Yep, I'd much rather read about an FPS franchise that pushes out games as regular as clockwork that I've never played and have little interest in ever playing.
        You've let me down there DexX. Keep up the good work.

Kidfla5h68
        November 16, 2012, 9:40AM
      • I'm disappointed there has been no coverage of Black Ops II here as well. I mean, where else on the internet could we find coverage about it, because I've seen no one else covering it.

Smoolander
        November 16, 2012, 9:56AM
      • Mmm Black Ops, now there's a game to get the pre-pubescent children and emotionally stunted excited! Yes, let's have more of that because f@#k knows I'm not getting enough coverage of over-hyped tripe as it is!

smallfrogge
        November 16, 2012, 11:22AM
      • I find that all FPS games to be sort of similar and mundane. Maybe if they had other battlefield activities than just running around and shooting terrorists, it might capture my imagine a bit more. It also seems that you don't get any better at playing those games, you either have those skills or you don't. Dead Island stuck out for me, but I don't think you could really call that a FPS, maybe a FPRPG?

jack219
        November 16, 2012, 11:59AM
      • Also going after DexX just for covering a highly anticipated trailer for a game that for many people has been a long time coming is a bit childish. We just had a Call of Duty not too long ago.

jack219
        November 16, 2012, 12:01PM
      • Is there anything to discuss? Something outstandingly interesting or comment-worthy?

I won't be playing either CODBLOPS2 or GTAV any time soon, but BLOPS2 from everything I've seen is basically another on-rails FPS. GTA at least pretends to have more than one interesting character and a variety of stuff to see and do.

Ronny
        November 16, 2012, 12:10PM
      • Nothing better than the so-called gaming "elite" clicking their tongues and patting eachother on the back over their disdain for something they find just a bit too beneath them.

js
        November 16, 2012, 12:43PM
      • Re: Dead Island - I thought of it as one of the rare First Person Melee combat games. Condemned is another good example, and there was one on the PC a few years ago, Zeno Clash. It's a hard thing to get right; I thought Dead Island did pretty well.

Also, I agree the blog is severely lacking in another article. I present it here in full: CODBLOPS2 is out y'all. Discuss.

Lucid Fugue