New Trials: Viva la evolution

Zoom in on this story. Explore all there is to know.

Trials Evolution has broken out of the warehouse.

Trials Evolution has broken out of the warehouse.

"Easy to play, hard to master" should be a mantra for all games developers, and has certainly been embraced by Trials developer RedLynx. This wonderfully accessible but fiendishly challenging motorcycle game demands real skill and patience to succeed on the most difficult tracks.

Fortunately, the early levels, skill games and license tests do a great job in teaching players how to control the bike, jump and land. There are no boring tutorials.

The game's popular predecessor was confined to a warehouse, but now there is terrific variety and scale to the spacious outdoor courses. Now you can jump over obstacles on tracks suspended high in the clouds, tackle courses reminiscent of World War II battlefields (complete with explosions) and hurtle down huge mountains. Some tracks are even curved, play with gravity, resemble rollercoasters or make tributes to other games.

Players progress by winning gold, silver and bronze medals determined by their finishing time and number of spills. The more flexible and rewarding structure ensures that no one level is a roadblock to progress towards the extreme challenges, and the urge to improve your skills and leaderboard standing is always very strong.

Some of the stages are truly over-the-top, and RedLynx has also ramped up the slapstick humour. The hapless rider is often subjected to pain and humiliation during spectacular falls, explosions and other calamities.

Players can also construct their own courses using the same tools that RedLynx used. Creating a simple track is easy, and the flexibility of the toolset is very impressive for those that want to seriously tinker. There is bound to be thousands of community-built creations able to be downloaded soon, with RedLynx providing inspiration with wacky diversions like shooting, flying and skiing games.

The package is even better value-for-money thanks to riotous four-player local or online action that is cleverly balanced between demanding speed and careful precision. Multi-player games are not only highly competitive but also frequently hilarious.

What have you been playing lately?

twitter Screen Play is on Twitter: @screenplayblog

• I played a lot of Deus Ex: Human Revolution over the weekend, and am just past the second boss. I almost stopped playing at one point early on, but I'm glad I persevered. I am now absolutley hooked. Great story!

Also dabbled a little in Bejewelled 3 and Peggle. Oh, and I sent a support email to Polytron detailing my Fez woes, so hopefully they can help me get up and running again...

REMINDER - Don't forget, today is the LAST DAY to get your top 5 gaming systems of all time lists in! email them to screenplayvote@gmail.com details here: http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/games/blogs/screenplay/your-turn-the-greatest-gaming-platform-20120418-1x6wh.html

luverly_5pam
    In a glass case of emotion
    April 30, 2012, 7:49AM
    • I have heard great things about Trials, but without a 360 will have to keep playing Joe Danger instead... imagining it to be the same game with a Junior Kickstart overlay ;-) Any more hidden mysteries in Evolution?

Everybody's Golf on the Vita has become a bit of an addiction. Now that I've unlocked all the characters I am working my way through the stars and crowns. They certainly present a decent challenge. I also entered my first online tournament.

The implementation of these is fantastic. After 'booking' a tournament from the cutesy hub, you have to progress past each hole in a given time limit. The scoreboard provides information on every other participant's progress (shot number, distance remaining etc.) and also allows you to chat.

Other than progressing through Mass Effect 3 I spared some time to try the Dragon's Dogma demo on PS3. The action can get a little crazy at times, however there were some awesome moments... taking to the sky on a griffin whilst your pawns attack from below. I'll be curious to see how it fairs come review time as my experience was wholly positive.

The fonts and menus still seem to come from the Japanese RPG standard set... see Dark Souls etc. A little bit of visual flair wouldn't go amiss!

Scubafinch
      April 30, 2012, 8:03AM
      • I've got Trials HD on steam, I would like this as well. If they will port it to PC then I'll get it.

BlindSquirrel
        Perff
        April 30, 2012, 11:01AM
    • Trials for me. loved the 1st game and this one is better . think they really nailed the difficulty curve and physics on this one . passed all the track on at least bronze now going back through and getting better medals .

on staurday wanted a break from trials and downloaded the sniper elite v2 demo. didnt expect much but have to say i enjoyed it allot . may have to buy it it

mongey
      April 30, 2012, 8:22AM
      • I purchased Fez last week on XBLA. It has been a while since I have said "wow" about a game. Fez really impressed me (perhaps I'm easily impressed) not just in the simplicity of the game, but the whole 3D switching. I just think it's just a clever idea and implemented pretty well. My only problem is that I get lost sometimes and forget where I have been.

Not much else played. Actually played some board games with friends over the weekend, which was refreshing.

Joka
        April 30, 2012, 9:03AM
        • I just finished Botanicula. What a fantastic little adventure game! It's way easier than Amanita Design's previous game Machinarium, but that is not really a knock on the game, as it delivers a different experience. The way everything reacts to your the movements and clicks of your mouse is endearing and delightful, couple that with colourful characters and a fantastic soundtrack and you have a amazing modern point and click adventure game.

Matthew Barton
          Mucking around in the Garbage.
          April 30, 2012, 9:06AM
          • Dark Souls - Addicted. Can't stop playing.

Dr Charlesworth
            April 30, 2012, 9:09AM
            • Can't wait until August, when it hits PC.

Badge
              Corellia
              April 30, 2012, 2:13PM
          • Been playing a LOT of Neuroshima Hex on the iPhone. Ooh boy that game is addictive.
            On a console - More Uncharted 3, a little Skate 3

AarghZombies
            April 30, 2012, 9:23AM
            • Slicing and dodging my way through The Witcher 2. Quite enjoying playing a non-Bioware/Bethesda RPG for once, although the completely tangled plot is doing my head in. I think I needed to play the first game (but unfortunately that was PC only), half the time I have no idea which character or kingdom people are talking about.
              Quite solid gameplay mechanics and interesting alchemy/crafting aspect to the game. There seems to be reasonable replay value given that there is a branch to the story line where probably 1/3 of the game is different depending on a decision you make.

When I'm done, I think I'l have to move on to Trials and Fez - I loved the demos, and based on the feedback here, everyone seems to be enjoying the full games.

Swordfactor