Vote: Best fighting game of 2012

Zoom in on this story. Explore all there is to know.

Not many fighting games came out in 2012, but there were a few treats for fans of the genre.

First, a confession: I don't play fighting games. Getting good at a fighting game generally involves memorising strings of button presses to pull off the best moves, and working out complex rock-paper-scissors relationships. Apparently they also require complaining on Twitter about opponents spamming unblockables. (Damn those unblockable spammers!)

However, just because I don't possess the attention span and patience to play fighting games, doesn't mean you readers don't. I know there are many of you out there who love your Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive, so get your voting finger ready.

Early 2012 was packed with fighting games. Namco kicked off the year with Soul Calibur V, followed only a fortnight later with BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend. UFC Undisputed 3 followed hot on its heels, bringing an end to THQ's ownership of the licence - EA will be making UFC titles from 2013. Street Fighter X Tekken was next, all before the end of March.

After that, releases slowed down and started to space out again. Download-only title Skullgirls popped up on XBLA and PSN in April, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown arrived in June, and Persona 4 Arena in August.

Toward the end of the year, things got crowded again. September saw the release of two of the biggest and best-reviewed fighters of the year, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Dead or Alive 5. Judging from reader reactions on Jason's Monday articles, I'm guessing the poll winner will be one of these two.

Finally, the year wrapped up with WWE '13 in October and PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale in November, with the latter being the most family-friendly brawler of the bunch. Honestly, who doesn't want to see Sackboy kick the crap out of Nathan Drake? (Or vice versa, for that matter?)

Okay, time to vote. This is a shorter list of nominations, so only one vote per person on this one. Results are secret, to be revealed next week, and if I've left off the game you want to vote for, it can be written in the "other" field.

Thanks for voting, everyone.

- James "DexX" Dominguez

twitter DexX is on Twitter: @jamesjdominguez

• There was only one fighting game that deserved my money this year and I had to import.

Mortal Kombat Vita was everything the console version was plus more. Such a great game!

Hewso
    December 14, 2012, 8:05AM
    • well for me it sah to be Sf X Tekken but that said I have to admit I fell out of love with it after a month or so

same reason I dont love MvC3 . it seems to revolve aorund getting 1 hit in for a super long combo rather than actaully mind games and the fun sparring of SF

mongey
      December 14, 2012, 8:06AM
      • Damn you Dexx for making me choose between Blazblue and DoA5!

Both have been a personal fave series of mine. I've always like the fast and frenetic fighting systems of Arks System Works fighters like GG. It's as fast paced as any VS game but w/o being overly too cheesey!

Also been a huge fan of DoA since it first came out and before people start ragging on the "physics" - it was still one of the best looking 3d Fighters when it came out and was the only one that had a much more fast paced combat system that only 2D Fighters were capable of at the time as opposed to its other main contender Tekken. It's only been w/ the recent gens that I've gotten into Tekken because it's gameplay has gotten a lot faster as opposed to the old poke-a-thons of Tekken 1 and 2.

Eitherway I put my hand up for DoA5 as I assume it will probably get less votes than BB!

RocK_M
        I want chinese take-away!
        December 14, 2012, 10:01AM
        • I'm tossing between VF5 Final Showdown or Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend. VF5FS is on par or better than DOA5 or TTT2, and it's not a full price retail game.

WadeMcG
          December 14, 2012, 2:06PM
          • MK Vita is great. Playstation Allstars Battle Royale for me... (fanboy love).

Scubafinch
            December 14, 2012, 2:46PM
            • Good year for Fighters this year.

DoA 5 is stellar. Very good fighting mechanics, good pacing and a clean, balanced roster.

SFxT is Capcom, and was the game that sparked my boycott. Therefore i won't be counting it.

Soul Calibur V is a disgrace to the series. No GI exchanges anymore, super meter and where the hell are Zasalamel and Talim?

Skullgirls is an absolute blast, but could use a bigger roster for a bit more variety.

TTTT is more Tekken Tag, and more Tekken Tag is always a good thing. Looks great and plays beautifully, but I don't think its better than DoA5. Or maybe I prefer the mixup and mind games of DoA to juggle strings.

Naruto Shippuden UNS Generations was another fighter I played this year (guilty pleasure), and found it a huge amount of fun.

Haven't played any of the others on the list, and feeling guilty about BlazBlue being part of that, since I loves me some BlazBlue, and am looking forward to the return of Guilty Gear soon. That being said, DoA5 gets my salute.

Emperor Pylades
              Terrace of Eternal Spring
              December 14, 2012, 2:55PM
              • Bleargh! DId you have to dig up old wounds on SCV? xD

Had such hopes for this when i tried the demo back on 2011 E2 and then it all went downhill once i played the half assed storyline and then coupled by the lack of Talim (who was one of my mains >.<)

RocK_M
                I want Chinese Take-Away!
                December 15, 2012, 8:37AM