Vote: Best sports game of 2012

Many top-quality sports simulations were released in 2012, but which do you think earned the gold?

Okay, I'll admit it: I don't play sports games. While some may consider it heresy, I have never played a single match in FIFA, and never smacked a puck in NHL. Of the nominees on this list, I have played a shameful grand total of two: the SSX reboot and Everybody's Golf on the Vita.

I know, I know, I no longer have the right to call myself either a gamer or an Australian. This was the year that I promised myself I would finally start playing FIFA, but it just hasn't happened yet; there have just been too many other things to play.

As such, I'm going to have to skip the background and just plunge straight into the voting. This is a shorter list of nominees, so we're back to a single vote, though once again you can write in your own if I have not included your favourite in the list. Results are secret, to be revealed later in the week, but you are free to discuss your choices here in the comments.

Thanks for your vote, everyone.

- James "DexX" Dominguez

twitter DexX is on Twitter: @jamesjdominguez

• NBA 2K13 by a mile. I was actually disappointed in 2K12 a little bit, but I think the new controls have taken the gameplay to a new level. Still the best presentation of any sports games, too. The only gripe I have is the mandatory "waiting for people to come up with the most realistic sliders" period - 2K should be getting "simulation" basketball right out of the box. Last year the game was a turnover fest, this year it's a fast break and offensive rebounding fest.

Anyway, I've already logged over 100 hours on it, which is far, far more than anything else I've played this year.

MLB The Show 12 was excellent, too - particularly on Vita.

Madden 13 was solid, but I spend more of my time in single player with sports games than multiplayer and the series is swinging too far in the online direction for me.

js
    December 18, 2012, 8:39AM
    • Everybody's Golf on the Vita for me; so many hours with this game!

Would have been FIFA but this year is my 'skip' year for that franchise. I was holding out for a decent Vita version but EA can't be bothered keeping their platforms in sync... when they have a cross-save version that allows you to take your league progress on the go... GOTY!

Scubafinch
      December 18, 2012, 8:39AM
      • NBA 2K13 easily for me. Put so many hours into it. I couldn't really get into the previous game, but I somehow got stuck into this one. The My Player is great fun. Hopefully the playoffs are on the cards this season.

Tiger
        Work
        December 18, 2012, 9:25AM
        • 2k13 for sure. It's the only sports game I play these days and now that I have Leaguepass, it's basketball heaven for me.

Joka
          Holidays
          December 18, 2012, 9:39AM
          • I've only tried SSX, but I'm tempted to pick up NHL 2013, as it's looking pretty damn likely that virtual NHL is the only kind that's going to be happening for the next 12 months.

Look what you've done, DexX. Now I'm sobbing into my friend rice.

Lith
            December 18, 2012, 12:29PM
            • Fried rice, not friend rice :-\

Lith
              December 18, 2012, 1:32PM
          • NBA 2K13 for me followed by SSX which didn't quite live up to my expectations.

Mr V.